Chapter Fourteen - New Worries

"Eren, are you okay?" Mikasa trailed behind her brother at a rushed pace with worry filled thoughts darting in her mind as they briskly walked toward the class of first period. She could barely keep up with the brunette -as his legs dragged him across the hall hurriedly to his destination he needed to quickly get to. Whether he was struggling not to be late or the paranoid thought she held that he was trying to avoid her -she didn't know. But she really wanted to, if she could get Eren to find his way out of whatever funk that was clinging to him like a leech.

"I.. I'm fine, Mikasa." Eren didn't know what to think as he waved his hand at her carelessly to stop pestering him. He really wanted to be alone right now. So many thoughts were running through his mind ever since he woke up this morning that he couldn't grasp onto anything. It was the next day after the situation with his parents, and he was trying so hard not to clutch onto the situation. Hell, Mikasa doesn't even know yet -as she had barely come home this morning. Something in Eren's brain clicked at that thought however, and he slowed his pace. 'Speaking of Mikasa..' He abruptly stopped his mildly paced movements to turn to his sister, as this was his chance to change the subject of his well-being that he didn't want to continue speaking about. "Where were you? Last night, I mean." His tone wasn't soft nor was it harsh, but Mikasa was taken aback by the sudden halt and question directed to her -as she was the one asking him the questions at first. It took a few moments for the raven to process it, but she sighed as she knew she wouldn't get to avoid this situation, the tall brunette was persistent after all -unfortunately for her. She pulled her scarf further over her lips as her eyes skimmed beside the male to avoid his gaze, like she was somehow ashamed, before she opened her mouth to answer hesitantly, not knowing what his reaction would be based on his current attitude. "I was at Annie's place."

Eren raised an eyebrow at his sister who still wouldn't look him in the eye, confused as he didn't know what to make of the answer, and it took him a while to even process it. "Annie's? For the entire night?" He asked bewilderingly, his mood varying between pissed and shocked. "And you didn't even bother texting mom and me? Or even one of us?" He shot, and her gaze fell between their feet as she stepped back a bit. "The project took a while, we got too caught up in it, okay? I ended up falling asleep, it just didn't come to mind that I should check in. I'm sorry." She defended, apologizing as Eren rolled his eyes. "Tell that to mom." The brunette mumbled as he turned back around to continue walking to class, knowing that the second bell would soon ring through the halls and their ears to warn students to get to their expected destination. But he was stopped by someone other than himself this time, feeling his shoulder being gripped by pale hands. He was spun around and the raven haired female had a slightly distraught look on her face, her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at her brother. "What do you mean?" She was confused by the odd response that came from the older male, she knew she should apologize to their mother but the fact that he pointed it out was different, especially from what she expected.

"Forget it." Eren shook her hand off and tried to turn again and escape the conversation he really didn't want to have with her -or anyone right now. But she seemed to have other plans. "What is wrong with you?" The raven raised her voice at his rude actions. She knows her brother, and he never acts like this. He was usually kind, understanding even if he was a bit angry. He didn't take it out on others. Of course Mikasa knew why he would be angry at her for leaving for a long period of time without any warning -well at least, that was part of the reason for his attitude and behavior, the other she didn't know- but he was just acting so different. He turned to her with a glare, "What do you mean by that?" He asked in a snappish tone, her sudden raise of voice coming off rudely to him. "Ever since this morning you've been acting weird, cold even, and distant. You just, you're acting like.."

The female trailed off, and Eren raised an eyebrow at the pausing of her sentence, tilting his head. "Like..?" He edged on, and Mikasa sighed. "Like dad. Or, when he's angry, I guess." Her voice was more quiet, almost like a whisper or mumble, and Eren's eyes widened at the mention of his father. He didn't want to think about him right now. Let alone be told he's acting like him. "Is it my fault? Because I'm sorry-" "No, it isn't Mika, I just- let's talk about it later. I'm sorry too." He cut her short with a softer tone, as students were starting to give them strange glances as they passed -well, more than usual at least- at the not-so-subtle argument that was happening between the two teens, and Eren didn't want other people listening in on their conversation. He especially didn't want to bring up their parents' argument at school. That could just be another piece of bate to taunt Eren with if anyone with bad intentions heard. The thought of a possible divorce crossed his mind multiple times this morning, and he dreaded even thinking about it.