thirteen

- You look beautiful, Princess. - my maid said, as she fixed an invisible wrinkle on my wedding gown.

I could see myself in the mirror, and I think I did look beautiful, but my mind wasn't on it. After about three weeks of preparation, it was finally my wedding day. I was up in my room, but I could hear people rustling about in the big ballroom of the castle, where the ceremony would take place.

The guests were already there, just as my future husband. The thought caused my heart to ache, knowing it would not be the one I actually loved, waiting for me at the altar. But this is what it means to be a queen, to sacrifice your own happiness for the good of the people.

That's what I kept telling myself as I descended the stairs and stopped in front of the door that separated me from my fate. Holding my bouquet tightly in my hands, I took a couple of deep breaths, trying to gather my wits together.

- You look amazing, darling. - said my father, as he approached me.

I smiled at him, but it didn't reach my eyes. I was being polite, and I knew he could tell it wasn't genuine.

- Are you ready? - he asked, offering me his arm.

- As ready as I will ever be. - I said, taking his offer. Looking at the guard by the door, I told him to open it.

A sea of people smiled at me. I returned the gesture and moved along the path slowly, clutching my father's arm for support. He led me through the crowd, taking me to where I was supposed to be.

Looking ahead, I saw Jimin dressed in an all-black suit, decorated with some gold patterns along the edges. His black hair parted sideways, his lips smiling at me. He looked handsome, I knew that, but again, it did not appeal for my heart in any way.

When we stopped in front of the prince, my father kissed my forehead and extended my hand to Jimin, muttering a "Take care of her". I looked up to him and he smiled, trying to encourage me.

The priest started the ceremony, but I wasn't paying attention. Me and my future husband stood face to face, hand in hand. I could feel all the eyes on us, thinking and whispering that we looked lovely together.

I only woke up when the priest started asking Jimin if he would take me as his wife. When given the chance to talk, the prince promptly said yes. And then, it was my turn. I stared at the priest and at the young man in front of me. Turning to my right, I sought my father's eyes. He smiled softly at me, waiting for me to do my part. Sighing lowly, I whispered a yes.

The priest continued, asking if anyone had a reason to keep that union from happening. In the spam of seconds, I conjured Jungkook in my head, barging in and stealing me away from all this madness. But I knew he wouldn't, so I just sighed again, accepting that my fate was sealed and nothing could change it now.

The priest prepared to talk again, to end the ceremony and pronounce me and Jimin, husband and wife. I took a deep breath, waiting for the words.

- Wait! - said the king, standing up and receiving incredulous looks from the guests. Walking towards me, he removed my hands from Jimin and looked me in the eyes. - Go Soojin.

- Father, what are you ...

- Go find Jungkook. I will never forgive myself if I force you into a loveless marriage.

- But dad, you said ...

- I know. We'll find a way, like we always did. - he wiped a tear that went down my cheek. - Go find your happiness, my love.

Turning to Jimin I said I was sorry, but he smiled and said he knew I didn't love him. He said it was okay. I hoped he could find someone to truly love him one day, he sure deserves it. But now, I had more important things to do.

Grabbing hold of my dress and lifting it up a bit, I ran out of the room, surrounded by the shocked gasps of the guests.