nine

The days progressed. Jimin came to spend time with me from time to time. He had morphed his conceited and annoying self into a kind and warm one. I found myself laughing with him and enjoying his company. To say my father was pleased was an understatement.

The king thought Jimin was going to be my choice. He was probably right. I felt comfortable enough with him, more than I felt with the others. Plus, my father seemed to like him better from the bunch. It was one of those win-win situations.

But even with all of those, he was just a friend to me. Kind, warm and patient, but just that. My heart didn't beat faster when I saw him or ached when I didn't. On the days he didn't visit me, I did not miss him, absorbed in my chores. He was good to have around, but I didn't need him.

Every day after finishing my responsibilities, I went to see Jungkook. He had become a dear friend to me. Someone to whom I could talk to without fearing his judgement. When he wanted to say something, he did, not measuring his words for fear of offending me or being inappropriate. That was what I loved about our bond, I was not a princess to him, I was a real girl.

Silently thanking that I was done with being the Princess for the day, I casually walked to the stables, eager to talk to Jungkook. When I arrived, he had Snowflake and a black horse out of their pens, the reins tied to a pole in the middle of the space. He was brushing them and they were saddled.

- Hey Kookie. - I greeted, the nickname he asked me to use rolling out of my tongue with a smile.

- Hey Soo. - he finished what he was doing and put the brush aside.

- Am I going somewhere? - I asked, pointing to the saddle on my horse. Snowflake was skittish, and only allowed me or Jungkook to ride her. So if she had a saddle on, it was probably for my use.

- We are going somewhere. - he answered with a smile. - I wanna show you something.

Complying, I mounted my white horse while he did the same on the black one. Putting the animals into motion, we started for the familiar path within the woods. He was going slowly, as if he was giving me time to follow.

- That's how fast your horse can go? - I asked from beside him. - Maybe you should have given that one to Jimin the other day. - I finished, laughing.

- Oh, the prince wouldn't be able to ride this one. Midnight is not a tamed pet. - he answered smiling, petting the horse's neck, showing his pride for the animal.

- Who chose the name?

- I did. He reminds me of the pitch black darkness that resonates through the air when the clock strikes midnight. - he responded, absently.

- Well, than how is he walking so slowly if he has so much spirit?

- Because he trusts me. - he said, looking over at me. - When you trust someone you could place your life in their hands, and you know that no matter what, you'd be safe.

His eyes, deeply staring into mine while saying those words, had me blushing.