one

Ever since I was five, everything that had ever been taught to me was based on one fact. The fact that one day I'd be the ruler of the kingdom, my sole purpose was to become the perfect queen.

Everyday went pretty much the same. Lessons on economics, because a good queen needs to know about the finances of her land and how to manage them. Lessons on how to be a "perfect lady", because a queen should be elegant and charming, even if she felt like throttling someone. Lessons on how to be what the people needed me to be.

And I did all of those. I became very good with numbers, maybe even better than my father's accountant. I was as charming in public as one of the fairy tale princess we hear about when we are children. I was the epitome of politeness. I was all I didn't want to be.

People think being a princess is all fun and games, but that is exactly what it wasn't. I had so many obligations to "my people" that there wasn't any spare time for me. I was so busy being Princess Min Soojin all the time that I couldn't be Soo for even five minutes.

And after spending years training to be as perfect as I was, there was still something I would never be able to do. Because that entailed not being who I was. But apparently there was a solution, only it didn't sound like a solution to me at all.

- Dad, this is ridiculous! - I said, exasperated.

- Honey, this is how things are done. I would never make you do this if there was another way. - he answered, a sad expression on his face.

- But, you're asking me to ... to - I couldn't even finish. This is was just outrageous.

- Hey, you're luckier than your mother and I were. I mean, we didn't get to choose, our parents just simply chose for us.

- Does that change anything? You're still asking me to marry a guy I don't even know.

- Baby, there's bound to be one that is not that bad. - said mom, trying to cheer me up.

- Have you talked to them, mom? They are all awfully conceited and annoying. They think the world revolves around them just because they are princes. All they think about is money.

My parents exchanged a look. I knew that look. It was the one that said "I'm sorry, but this has to be done. There is no other way". And truth to it, my dad's final words set my destiny.

- Soojin, if we don't do this they are not going to accept you as queen. They don't trust a single woman to rule alone. They are going to bring you down.

- But dad, you know I'm perfectly capable of ruling by myself. That is the only thing I have ever been taught to do!

- I know that, but they don't. And trust me, they won't want to give you a chance to prove it.

What else could I say? All his reasons were true and I knew it. I would have to marry an arrogant prince just to keep my rightful place as queen. In the end, I would do it.

Yeah, being a princess sucks.