twelve

A couple of weeks passed, but nothing changed. I still spent time with the princes, mostly with Jimin, and I still missed Jungkook painfully. I didn't go to him ever since that day, because I knew that if I did, I would never accept to be married to someone else.

So I swallowed all the pain and put on a brave face and a smile. People seemed to believe my fake expression. My parents could probably tell something was off, but they didn't ask. When my father summoned me to a meeting in his office on a Sunday, I knew the time was up. I had to make a choice.

Walking inside after knocking on the heavy wooden door, I directed myself to a seat in front of him and beside my mother. She offered me a smile, but I did not reciprocate.

- Soojin, we need to talk to you. - started my father.

- I know, but before you start, I want to tell you that I've made a choice. - I paused, ignoring his slightly confused eyes. - I choose Prince Jimin.

Silence. The king looked over at his wife and sighed, shaking his head. Almost as if he didn't expect me to say something like that. Wasn't that the reason he called me here?

- Soojin, before we settle that, I'm going to ask you something and I want the complete truth. - he said, looking into my eyes for emphasis. - Who is Jeon Jungkook to you?

What? How does he know about Jungkook?

- Uhn, he is a fr ... - I stopped. I couldn't call him a friend anymore. - He was a friend, but now we are nothing to each other, don't worry.

Even I could feel the pain and sadness in my voice. But he asked for the truth and that was it. We were nothing to each other, not anymore. Because what we wanted to be, we couldn't.

- Do you love that young man? - my father asked.

- I-I ... It doesn't matter. - I said, head hanging low. - I know my responsibilities and I will stand by them. I will do the right thing dad, don't worry.

The room was silent for a whole minute, just the sound of our breathings could be heard. That was making me restless.

- Is there something else you need to tell me, dad?

- Uhn ... - he looked at the queen and she shook her head, as if she wanted to say something but didn't dare. - No honey, that is all.

- Well, I'll inform my suitors of my choice then. Excuse me.

Walking out of the room with a heavy heart, I went to grab hold of a phone.