Chapter 27

Another point of view shift. Sorry guys~

Sam-the-girl's POV

The introductory dance was disastrous. I nearly tripped seven times as I struggled to get a hold of the peacock dress the contest staff has given me. The contest main theme is apparently about soaring high like a bird. And the manager decided to dress us like birds as an introductory dance constume.

I hadn't tried this dress before. Or I did. But I didn't exactly walk on it that much. That dress was huge. Real colored feathers make up the billowing puffy dress and the upper part has dozen glitters and there's a big peacock wing attached to my back. I couldn't look more ridiculous.

The chicken was worse, though. It isn't a gross costume, but the white feathers just didn't compliment the girl's dark brown skin.

Basically we're a bunch of birds going around the stage. I would've died of embarassment. But I would see all the other contestants are with me so maybe I can stop being so whiny.

"I am Lys Martina and I believe in the saying..." The fifteenth contestant is now introducing herself. I am next. And I have no freaking clue how to settle my fraying nerves. I take a look at Lys. The black-haired girl Luis used to date. She seemed so confident. So sure of what she is doing. Completely the opposite of what I feel. I'd ask her, why she's oozing with self confidence. But it doesn't work out that way. Cause I have no freaking way to do so.

She is walking back to her spot beside me now. Few feet away from her and I know I have to walk right at the center for the stage now. Taking a deep, settling breath I took a step. And another and another. Until I'm in front of the mike stand.

"My name is Sam Lee Concepcion. I prepared a saying for you to ponder," I stopped. I forgot the quotation. What was it again? The dead air lasted for a minute. And then another. The audience is now starting to get bored. WHAT THE FREAKING HELL WAS THAT QUOTE AGAIN?!

I can hear the other contestants snigger from behind me. Risking it all, I look at Sam. His face is contorted with worry and as soon as he saw me look back he started mouthing the words.

Sam is smart. No, not only that. He's wise and intelligent and everything you could associate with being good with brains. But apparently he isn't good with mouthing words. I can't decipher his lip movements. That, maybe is entirely y fault as I'm focusing on all the wrong things about his lips.

Shaking my head, I look back at the audience. They're awkwardly shifting in their seats, waiting for my quote. With one deep breath I said the best quote I can come up with.

"Cheating is wrong."

I can't help the giggle that escaped my mouth. I wasn't exactly thinking. Just went with whatever is on my mind. But still I can't help but ask myself 'where did I get that?'

I'm such a moron.

The next thing I knew the crowd started giggling too. Probably following my example. I bit my lip to avoid any other chuckles to get out. Then someone laughed, and all of them started laughing too. A hearty, good-natured laugh. It's not insulting at all. They seriously think I'm just being intentionally funny.

Being funny maybe. It's not intentional. But I have no plans on changing their views.

Bowing, I went back to my spot. I was met by glares, amused smiles and grins by my co-dudes. I all gave them a sweet smile in return.

Soon the introductions are done and we are now being surfed to the first part of the contest.

Talent Portion.

The backstage is an unending stream of people shouting, walking, talking around. All of them cluttered on the cramped space the school has provided. Each of the contestant's relatives and hired whatevers are over their bets; finishing their make-ups, saying their last minute reminders, pep talks and other stuff.