Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Sam-the-guy’s Point of View

My eyes adjusted to the harsh light streaming in from the sun. The room is illuminated by the yellow light. I ignored the mess in front of me; clothes and wrappers littered on the floor and random clutters on every surface. It’s my usual morning. Yawning, I made my way to the adjacent room and did my morning rituals.

It’s Friday. The day where the important events are supposed to happen.  The day where I am supposed to stand on stage with the possibility of wearing make up and worse, a dress. I’d seriously run like hell if they would force me in on a stupid costume.

There is a knock on the door, I know it’s Sam. She has this predicament that if she knocked I will open the door. Maybe I will, but not as soon as she thinks. Annoying Sam off: most vital part of the morning ritual. Five minutes later she knocked again, this time harder. I ignored it as I just finished showering.

“Come on! I’m going to be late!” She punched the door. I almost laughed out loud when I heard her hiss from the pain. That should wake her up. She’s always so cranky in the morning.

I open the door, towel only covering my body.

Sam didn’t respond at first, and then when she noticed she turned around quickly, covering her whole face.

“What the-? Why must you do that every single time?! Can’t you give a warning?” she said, sounding flustered and angry.

Chuckling, I just made my way back to my room. She never learns. As I rummaged through my drawers I could almost hear her stomping around the bathroom. Sam is not really a morning person, and that’s fine. As long as I could annoy her like this everyday.

The fun from awhile ago completely disappeared as I remembered just what day it is. I knew it from the minute I woke up, I just didn’t actually internalize it. Holy cow! Today is the contest!

That’s isn’t it though. I feel stupid for wearing uniform too. We aren’t supposed to wear them today. The whole day is dedicated to the booths and stuff and at 6 the beauty contest will start. After changing in a green shirt and denim jeans, I went downstairs.

The weird girl is already there, eating. Bert, Filarme and her looked at me as slowly, mockingly I laughed at Sam. She’s wearing her uniform. I knew she would forget. She has this habit of forgetting things almost every time.

“What?” she asked, frowning.

“You’re wearing your uniform.”

“So wha-?” she started but it seemed to dawn on her, a second later. “I-is it Friday?” she stutters, her eyes glued to the window sill, finally getting just how much this day will be…eventful.

Chewing, Filarme answered her. “Yes, honey. It’s contest day! I have both your dress and suit ironed and it hangs perfectly in our room! Those clothes are undoubtedly the perfect things there is!” she exclaims, as enthusiastic as ever. Sam and Filarme bought my suit, I was asked to join but I knew how much pain it would give me if I went shopping with them. I saw my suit I think it’s fine. It’s just the standard white one with a blue tie.

“Oh, umm, excuse me auntie.” Sam stands up and goes to her room. I sat on my seat and ate some toast. Whatever happens happens. It’s not like I’m going to die, I wince at my pathetic attempt at cheering myself up.

Five minutes pass and then Sam emerges from the room. She wore her usual; jeans and shirt. Simple. I thought and then added, but beautiful. She looked at me, a smile tugging on her lips. I would've smiled too, but I didn't. I'm not sure why exactly.