Chapter 12

I sit on a bench at the campus'  lawn, watching the basketball practice. There are two basketball courts on the campus. One is in the gym the other is on the lawn.

We were dismissed an hour ago and Alisa and I went to the library. However, the librarian is not in so we proceeded out here, to do nothing in particular. But after forty ,minutes of lazing around, Alisa told me she had to go. So I sit here alone letting the minutes go by as I wait for Uncle Berth. Since nobody really instructed me what to do once I got out of the school, I just assumed Uncle Berth will fetch me.  

Hours pass and the people began to start going home. It's getting dark and I'm freezing. I only wear a thin jacket and the cold wind finds its way down to my bone. I unconsciously wrap my arms around my shoulders as the last of the basketball players pack up and readied to go home. 

After another fifteen minutes and still no Uncle Berth I begin to get nervous. I mean, why isn't he here yet? I take a look at my white wristwatch; 6:30. I stand up and walk around.Trying to calm my overly active nerves.

Ten minutes later and there are only four other people in the lawn. I'm getting more nervous by the minute. But still, I continue to wait.

Ten minutes pass and I'm starting to panic. I'm the only person left in the lawn. I'm getting desperate. I don't think Uncle Berth will come. Worse, I don't know where our house is. I don't know where I'm supposed to go or what i'm even supposed to do.

Another ten minutes pass. It's already 7 o'clock. I want to call them but I don't have a phone. I'm stuck here and five minutes later, the guard told me that I should get out of the campus now. It's already past 7:00 and students aren't allowed to stay.

I nod at him, shaking and then stepped out of the school. Right after I step out the eerie silence seem to deafen the streets. I walk a few paces in hope to find a pay phone. Five minutes of walking I begin to give up and start to acknowledge the thought that I'll be sleeping in the streets tonight. I feel tears threaten to spill out. I give it one last try with my last shred of hope I walk another couple of blocks.

I almost sank to my knees and worship God right on the sidewalk where I stand when I saw a payphone. I even see it glowing with radiant light. In my haste to get there, I trip over a big rock. I scrape my knees bigtime but the payphone is totally occupying my mind that I didn't care.

I stand up again and limp my way to it. I've still got three five peso coins. I get one and insert it in the slot. I begin to recall the number that I memorized right after I got into my new home.

I press the number; 422-9725 and hope against all odds that my memory did not fail me. The phone is ringing and someone answers.

"Hello? Mandrakis Residence, what do you need?" an unfamiliar voice speaks.

"Aunt Filarme?" I ask even though I know the answer.

"I'm sorry. You've got the wrong number." the other line ends the call. My hope went crashing down hill but I firmly close my mind and rack my brain of the right one. I get another coin and push it on the slot.

422-5279

One ring and another unfamiliar voice tells me I got the wrong number. I want to cry but I've still got one hope left and this time I'm determined to get it right.

422-2597

"Sorry, you got the wrong number" another unfaliar voice says. They end the call and my depressed self sat on therough asphalt. A minute pass and I realize I'm still holding on the black phone. I stand up to drop it back when something from its reflection glints. I quickly ran to its direction and I spent five minutes finding whatever it was. My forehead is creased in a frown and I'm sweating pails but it's all worth it because I found another five peso coin.

"That's mine!" A child of four yells at me.

"Huh? I found it!" I yell back at the child. Seriously, I like children and all but this five peso coin I currently hold is my life line. No way a child can get it from me. Not even a cute child.

"It's mine!" he begins to stomp his feet.

"NO." I say.

Then, his mother came scolding him.

"Web! You little boy! No icecreams for you!" she turns to me "I'm really sorry miss." and then they wak away. The boy even stuck his tongue out before they're completely swallowed by the darkness. 

As for me, well, I literally danced on the street. So happy at the dumb luck. But before I can lost the coin again I went inside the pay phone and dialed. This time, I'm pretty confident.

422-5297  

The phone rings and rings and rings and then someone picks it up.

"Hello?" someone starts. I cry. Literally. I sob so hard I choked out the words

"T-thank G-g-goodness!" I hear the phone being switched to another person.

"Sam?" the other line asks.

I've never been so happpier to hear Sam the Jerk's voice.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Hey, readers! Don't forget to give a feedbaack, okay?