Chapter 13

"Where are you?" Sam asks. My eyes are tearing up for the flood of emotions inside me. Mainly because of so much joy and relief.

"H-here, I d-don't know. I f-few blocks from s-school," I reply, stammering and choking.

"Where exactly?" he asks again. This time more forceful.

I shake my head, as if he can see me. 

"I told you. I don't know." I answer, this time a little annoyed. Why would he be angry? I mean, Hello, I'm lost.

"Look for something tha can tell you where you are," he says.

"Uh," I look around then realize that where I am kind of rings a bell. It's familiar for me. But in my haste to just get over this situation, I furiously search for a signboard.

Ah. There.

Western Fremont St. 

"Western Fremont Street," I prompt.

After a minute of silence. "Again?" he asks.

"Western Fremont Street," I pronouce every syllable.

Another minute of silence and then I hear him laughing at the other line. I instantly got irritated. What's there to laugh about? 

"What the-?!" I start but is interrupted by him

"What are you? Seriously?" he chuckles

"I'm a freaking human being! You dork. Why are you laughing?!" I'm so annoyed I yelled at the phone.

 "Fine, Fine. Geez," he says, amusement still evident in his voice. "From where you are, our house is just a house away," then he chuckles.

"Eh?" I stood there, trying to digest what he just said.

"You might be asking, the payphone you are using right now is the only one in Western Fremont Street. So I perfectly know where you are now." A pause. I heard footsteps from behind me but I ignore it. 

"In fact, I'm here." he says. 

"Huh? You're here?" I ask dumbly, finally slightly recovering. I mean, who wouldn't feel so stupid anyway? If you almost cried for mercy for nothing. When you're just a house away. A house. That's approximately ten steps.

"I'm here," he simply answers my question. There is a knock on the payphone's door. I gesture for whoever it is to wait. Can't they see that I'm using it?

"Um, where? Here?" I ask again. But the line went dead. Ahh! bloody hell. The jerk turned it off!

 "Jerk!" I yell at the phone I hold and then start to drop it back but at the last minute get and yell at it again "Demon!"

I slam the phone on it's reciever. I hear someone laugh behind me.

Crap. I forgot. There is a person waiting. And now I feel stupid again for doing what I just did. 

Wait.

That laugh sounds familiar. As in I-just-heard-that-laugh familiar kind of way. I turn around in slow motion and see Sam, laughing his head off. Just like he did the first time I met him.

A minute pass and Sam stops laughing. However, I continue staring at him and at my reflection on the glass door. And yes, If you're asking. I look like a beetroot at the moment.

"Wow," he mouths at me then gestures at the handle of the door. Indicating I should open it.

I open the door and got out. Stop in front him and then cross my arms over my chest. I wait for his reaction. The smile is wiped from his mouth and then he stares back at me.

"Why did you stop laughing?" I sarcastically say after a while.

"Is it any of your business?" he replies.

"Yes, I'm the one being laughed at here. It is very much my business too."

"How can you be so sure that I'm laughing at you?" he says, his voice calming.

I stomp my feet and punch him on the chest. He did not even flinch. So I punch him again.

"Wait. Stop." he backs away. Until we're already on the middle of the road.

"Why the hell should I stop? Do you have any idea how stupid and stupid and stupid and stupid I feel right now? Because you had the rotten kindness to laugh at my honest mistake! Do you?! Do you?!" I punch him again.

"Woah, Stop." he raises his hand in act of surrender.

"Fine! What do I do?!" I yell at him.

"Calm down." he says.

"And then?"

"You aren't calmed yet"

"And then?!"

"Woah. Geez. And then hear me out,"

"Okay." I say then sat down. Right on the middle of the road.

"What are you doing?" he looks bewildered and shocked. Which is funny if you ask me. 

"Sitting down." I say trying to fight off the giggle.

"Huh? Are you out of your mind? You're on the middle of the road. In case you haven't noticed?" he stops looks around and then says "You sit." he walks away and then stays on the sidewalk. "Here," he points on the grass. He looks genuinely panicky and concerned. 

I giggle. I honestly have no idea where my anger and frustrations went.  He stares unbelieving at me but I stay sitting there. Still on my uniform. Not caring at all.

"Just get it over with whatever you want me to hear out." I say.

"I'm sorry. I'll keep this a secret. Don't worry. I will not inform anybody of your uh, stupidness?" he says after a minute of silence. 

I blink a few times. He is saying sorry? For real?

"Okay," I say slowly.

"Let's go then?" he asks me, unsure. He scratches on his head when I didn't reply or make a move.

"Fine. Lead the way," I say afterwards.

He smiles and then walks on the sidewalk. I stay and walk on the middle of the road. As we walk, I begin to think.

I guess demon jerks can be nice too, eh? 

"Why do you still stay there?" he abruptly looks at me. 

"Why do you care?" I say.

"Why do you care that I care?" he snaps.

I give him a questioning look and then gesture for him to just go on walking. He scoffs, rolls his eyes and then continue walking.

Eh? I guess not.

________________________________________________________________________________

Another update! :)) Comment vote and fan, okay? Thanks.