Chapter 19

Just as soon as the credits came rolling in, Uncle Berth and Aunt Filarme got home. They came home with a big plastic bag of groceries and other stuff.

"Good Evening, darling," Aunt Filarme greets me when I stood up and offered to carry the load. She gave me it and I took it at the kitchen.

"How's the payment for the window?" I heard Uncle Berth asking Sam.

"I still don't have it," Sam says bluntly, as if he is not talking to his own father. Talk about rude. 

Frowning, I open the fridge door and found out that it was fairly full. After looking back at the fridge and the bag a couple of times, I decided that the remaining space wouldn't be enough.

"Aunt, I think you have overestimated on the groceries," I tell Filarme, who is refilling the salt container.

"Why, dear?" she asks, not bothering to look up from what she is doing.

"Because there is not enough space for all of this," I say.

"Oh. No, sweetheart. You don't need to put all of that there. Tomorrow will be a big day, don't you know?" My face scrunches up in a confused way. I have no idea what she is talking about. Tomorrow is a big day? Sure, it's a Saturday. What's so big with that?

"Tomorrow is my son's birthday," she says it the way a proud mother should. Like she was boasting that another year has passed and that her son is growing up to be a fine man.

"Really?" My eyes bulges at the information. Why am I so slow sometimes? And how come I don't know that Sam's birthdate is October 2?

"Yes. He did tell me that he'll host a small party in here, so as a gift, we decided to just provide him the supplies. My son is turning sixteen!" She have a big smile on.

"Yeah." I say, sounding as cheerful as I could.

"You know when that boy was little? He used to throw food around just so he can clean it. He really likes to clean, that boy," she clucks her tongue as if reminiscing that funny moments.

"I'm surprised. What happened to him?" I say, giggling at the thought of Sam cleaning.

"Yes. Well, now he scolds the twins whenever they do what he usually does," she says.

"Ironic," I comment.

"I know. That boy. He is so immature and mature at the same time. By the way, honey, when is your birthday again?" she looks at me.

"Umm, March 16." I tell her.

"Dear, you have the same birthdate as the twins." she says, still wearing her big smile.

"Wow. I'm getting too attached," I comment. First I have the same name as Sam. Now I have the same birthdate as Chance and Hope. Talk about coincidences

"Don't be afraid to be attached, sweetie. This is your family now." She nears me and helps me stand up. She gives me a smile and hugs me. At first I was shocked. But I recovered quickly and hugged her back, letting the warm feeling of her motherly hug drown me.

><

October 2, 8:09 A.M

"Wake Sam up." Uncle Berth orders me as soon as I got out of my room. And without giving me the chance to answer, he went out.  

I trudge my way upstairs and took a detour at the comfort room. I wash my face and brush my teeth, so I can appear atleast human in front of the celebrant.

I knock on his door a couple of times. "Sam. Wake up," I tell him, but I doubt if he heard it as I'm still outside his room.

After a few minutes of no reaction and pointless calling, I gather up the courage to open the door. Thankfully it is unlocked.