The Temple

"Are you okay Rin?"

"Fine."

She marches with her hands balled and lips pressed firmly tight. Jun whimpers and hides his head in Kohaku's neck.

"You met someone? In the woods?"

Rin says nothing. Her eyes focus on the ground. Kohaku sighs and puts a hand on her back.

"Tell me Rin. It will make you feel better."

She looks at him and he gives her a soft smile. Her shoulders relax and she sighs.

"It was Jaken."

Kohaku looks at her in confusion.

"Who?"

"Jaken. Master Jaken is with Sesshomaru-sama. We traveled together."

"Ah so he isn't here?"

She shakes her head. "Why would I expect him to? He's a great and powerful Lord who deserves to be worshipped and is too busy to come to minuscule festivals like this one." Rin kicks a rock.

"Rin."

"Kohaku, I've been waiting so long for him and he never came back and... I tried to fit in with the village! I tried to help everyone! I love Granny Kaede and Inuyasha and the others but... it just doesn't feel like home."

Kohaku takes her hand and leads her forward.

"Kohaku, wha-?"

"I think you'll like this."

They walk through the crowds and arrive at an archway. The inscription on the posts read,"To our Lord." They walk up the stone stairs to a newly built temple on top of a small hill.

"Wow..." Rin whispers.

There was a courtyard in front of the temple, which was covered in sleek stone and featured a koi pond in its center. The koi pond branched out throughout the temple and had small bridges for people to walk over. The temple loomed over the pond and as they walked inside, they were met with meditative silence. In the center of the temple was a giant statue of Sesshomaru, standing tall and assertive.

Rin walks up to the statue, Kohaku following. He puts Jun down and he giggles and joins the other children at the koi pond. Rin passes the praying people and touches the cold stone.

"The choice has always been yours. Whether you stay or go, know that I-I mean we will always love you."

She turns to him and smiles. "Thank you, Kohaku."

"THERE HE IS! LORD SESSHOMARU!!"

Screams and footsteps fell in the temple as everyone rushed out. Kohaku and Rin look at each other before running out to the courtyard. From the courtyard they could see the main road full of people and a bright light parting the mass like the Red Sea. Rin squinted her eyes and could barely make out Sesshomaru's figure. A bell toll slowly rang out to announce his presence.

"Come on Rin! I can get us a good spot!" Kohaku grabs Rin's hand and yanks her forward. He laughs as Rin yelps, startled. Her legs could barely keep up with his long strides. Soon, they get to the staircase. But as Kohaku pulls Rin down, she feels a strange ripping and blinks in shock. As she stands on the top of the stairs, she sees an image of herself still following Kohaku.

"What?"

Rin holds out her hands in front of her and gasps. They have taken on a blurry, ghostly appearance. She looks down at the rest of her body and sees that even her clothes have become this way too.

"What's happening?" Rin whispers.

"Oh my god!" Kohaku runs back up the stairs.

"Kohaku! Help!"

But as Rin reaches forward, Kohaku runs right through her and towards Jun.

"Your mama would've killed me twice over!" He picks Jun up and kisses his forehead.

Kohaku returns to the image of Rin, who's waiting patiently at the top of the stairs. She waves at the real Rin and Jun turns around and smiles at the real Rin too. Rin's vision starts to become hazy.

"Rin." She feels a warm touch on her shoulder and blacks out completely.

"Bye bye Rin." Jun says.