The Next Step

The children took advantage of the time to go play. They run around in a clearing next to their house as Kagome, Rin, and InuYasha watched them.

"How in the hell are we supposed to train you?" InuYasha asks outright.

Rin shrugs. "Beats me. Sesshomaru just said I needed to be trained."

"It sounds like he just wants you to know how to protect yourself." Kagome states.

"But shouldn't the necklace be enough?" Rin touches it subconsciously.

"That thing is dangerous. Why do you even still have it around your neck?"

"InuYasha. Si-."

"Oh I'm sorry, did you want to take it off?" Rin crosses her arms.

Kagome laughs as InuYasha backs away a little. He sticks his tongue at her and Rin does it back. Inuyasha grunts and jumps, landing on the top of the hut.

Rin sighs. "You've already tried to teach me how to shoot arrows. InuYasha and Sango tried to teach me about swords. But I'm shitty at all of them."

Kagome puts an arm around Rin.

"Don't beat yourself up about it. What makes each of us unique is that we all fight in our own way. That's how we were able to defeat Naraku. And you already have a head start."

They both look at the crescent pendant.

Rin smiles. "You're right Kagome. But how will you train me in this?"

"Well we've all had experience with cursed magical jewelry so what makes this different? The sacred jewel actually came from Sango's birth village but-"

"I don't think we should talk to her right now."

Kagome laughs. "Right."

"Kagome! Kagome!" One of the twins, Emi, runs up to them.

"Emi! Is there anything wrong?"

Emi giggles. "No no I'm just super excited! Gion is having a festival in Lord Sesshomaru's honor!"

"Sesshomaru-sama.." Rin touches the pendant.

"I wanna go so bad! It starts today and at night there's fireworks!" Emi squeals.

"Well, I would love to go! But I would have to ask your parents first..." Kagome looks back at the suspiciously quiet house.

"Please!! Please!" Emi begs. The rest of the children come behind her with their hands clasped and join her begging.

"Pretty pwease!! Please! Please!!!Please!"

"Come on let's go."

Rin and Kagome jump when they hear Inuyasha's voice next to them. His face is twisted in annoyance as he has the youngest baby in one of his hands, his arm outstretched. She smiles and giggles as he holds her by a scarf.

"YAY!!" The children begin leading the way to the village of Gion.

Rin and Kagome continue to look at InuYasha puzzled as he hands the baby to Kagome. She expertly wraps the baby onto her back and the little girl falls back asleep.

"But how did-, when did-, how are Miroku and-"

InuYasha scratches his ears. "Fine. More than fine. Making another baby that's what they are doing."

He rubs his head as it dawns on Rin and Kagome. They begin laughing.

"Ugh. I wish I didn't have sensitive hearing."