Broken promises.

Scarlett's POV

"How can you leave me?" I asked, tears streaming down my face. "After ten years, you're leaving me for some people you haven't even met yet? You promised me you wouldn't leave..." 

As I wiped the tears from my cheeks, Grace pulled me into a hug. Her arms were wrapped tight around my torso, her chin resting on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Scarlett," Grace mumbled as she tightened her grip. "I'm really sorry. It's not my fault my parents left me at an orphanage," She rolled her eyes, a small smile forming on her lips. "I promise I'll write to you as soon as I get there."

"Last time you promised me something, you broke it." She suddenly became very interested in her worn shoes. 

I sighed softly as she held tightly onto the handle of her suitcase. "Text me every day." 

She smiled sadly at me before she wrapped me in another hug. Next thing I knew, she turned around, waving at me as she ran across the road, and disappeared through the doors of the airport.

I sighed, tears clouding my eyes again. "I'm going to miss her," I said to Miss Handley. "Grace was practically my everything."

"I think everyone back at the orphanage will miss Grace. She always managed to make me smile even when I was feeling at my worst." I saw tears forming in Miss Handley's eyes as we walked back to the car. Pulling out my phone, I opened up Tumblr and opened up a text post.

My best friend left me today, and I can't believe she's gone. I mean, yes, I'm happy for her. She deserves a good home. But it's going to be hard, who am I going to have to talk to now? Who can I tell all my problems to? 

I posted it and turned my phone off as I opened the car door.

 I wonder what it would be like to be adopted. To have someone finally love you. To have someone to care for you. 

I've been in 2 homes already. They both used me for housework. I wonder what would happen if Grace wasn't on a plane, flying to Oregon? Would she be laughing at how I spaced out every two minutes? Would we be jamming out to Taylor? 

The car jolted to a stop, and I threw open the door, slamming it on my way to the building I'd called my home for years.

As I walked back into the orphanage, I ran up the stairs into the room Grace and I used to share. I threw on a grey sweater and ran up another two flights of stairs to the attic, which is easily the coldest room in the place. Sitting in the corner of the room, I plug in my earphones and turn up my music (which so happened to be Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift) and immediately burst into tears.

This song always manages to bring me to tears.

I look up at one of the Taylor Swift posters me and Grace had on the wall just weeks ago. 

I wonder what it's like, being able to sing like that. 

I wipe the tears off my face. "Taylor, what's it like to be beautiful?" I ask, knowing no one can hear me. "How do you fit in? I just can't do it."

(A/N: Heyy! I'm Nicole! So I'm like in love with Taylor Swift, and I thought I'd write this fanfic! Taylor comes in soon! Yep ik this is short but deal with it! I'm updating later, anyway.
Please tell me if I'm going too fast, I tend to do that.
Also please excuse my terrible writing skills, this is why I'm failing English lmaooo.
Byeee!

08/05/19; I'm editing this like a year later and laughing at myself 

~Nicole

edited 08.05.19