Chapter 4

'GOD! I hate selfish people' I exhaled in disgust but then I thought to myself Issac did lend me his car, he ain't all bad but terror and worry had taken over my mind. I couldn't think straight because even the slightest chance of Ashley going missing meant I lost my only friend. I looked at Issac's blue sedan, the sunshine reflected from it's shiny surface and hit me right in my eyes making me feel blind for a slight second.

As I got in the car, I sensed a bitter smell, felt like arrogance was in the air, to be precise, I smelt Jason's signature or should I say only scent. I sat on the driver's seat and caught a sight of a person in the rear-view mirror. I quickly turned back to see, it was a boy, couldn't identify because his jacket was on his face but I had a strong feeling that it was Jason, his smell and filthy personality could be sensed from even a huge distance.

His white shirt had been curled up into a  'pillow' as he rested his head on it. His black jacket on his face. One arm folded while his hand was at the back of his head. His legs were abruptly positioned, he barley fitted in. The windows had been rolled up since he lied in the back of the car shirtless. I rolled my eyes even though I knew there was no one to notice that, just then I spotted a tattoo which I had never seen before, it said 'forgive', I exhaled lightly in disgust because clearly Jason had no idea about humanity.

I turned back to the steering wheel and thought of how to wake him up. Then I saw Issac's iPod already connected to the car. I hated Jason and I had a perfect plan to annoy him, so I picked it up and scrolled through Issac's play-list. Many songs caught my eye but they were all unfamiliar. his play-list clearly was describing his thoughts Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars  WHAT THE FUCK DOES HE LISTEN TO?  Don't you know any rappers?

I scrolled and scrolled until I saw the song 'Bangarang' by Skrillex, so I turned the volume to full and played it, I turned my face to look at Jason's face when he woke up. I was already controlling my laughter. The car was blasting with the music there it was, poor Jason had been brought back to the Earth smashing onto the ground as he probably fell from cloud-9. He got up screaming and yelling "WHAT THE FUCK!" he seemed scared, he threw his shirt at me. I could not control my laughter and finally busted out laughing at top of my lungs. I tossed his shirt back at him, He caught it, took his jacket and got out of the car. I thanked God for he was out, and started the car, I only moved a few meters, I was trying to catch up some speed as I accelerated when I saw Jason, open the door and knelt in and in a blink of an eye, sat next to me.

I was so infuriated, my attempt to get him out failed, I sighed, and glared at him, he was looking at me, expressionlessly, his eyes half open half closed. I rolled me eyes and focused on the road. He pushed his seat back, to lay, he put his feet on the dashboard and finally turned the music down to a normal volume.

"That's better, ain't it?" he said sarcastically

"Is it now?" I smiled from the right corner of my mouth.

"You know, when a person is sleeping in the back of the car, you should not play a fucking song so fucking loud that they wake up" he glared at me.

"But when that person is someone you hate more than anything in you life, I think it's quite fair" I smiled and looked at him.

"Touché"  he said as he grabbed a cigarette and lit it up. He took a long drag of the cigarette and blew it out through his nose.

"It is cold outside! the windows have been rolled up, can you not make my view blurry" I exclaimed with anger.

"What did I do?" he was trying to play.

"JUST STOP SMOKING IN THE CAR!" he made me really stubborn.

"Its not your car" he explained,
I was silent. He then inhaled a lot of smoke, shaped his mouth into an 'O' and started blowing out rings of the smoke . I found that really attractive since I hadn't been able to excel that very smoking skill. I just wanted to stab the rings with my finger like a little child, but  I couldn't, even though I really wanted to.

"Yeah well, Issac gave it to me" I told him.

"For the moment" he added.

I grinded my teeth and exhaled sharply, I focused on the road because his words didn't matter. Jason picked up my coffee cup, which was being held in the cup-holder and asked me:

"Yours?" he asked
Inodded.
"Let me guess, Issac gave it to you?" he further asked
I nodded again. He started half-smiling and stared at the cup. I felt really uncomfortable. He kept on smoking even though the car was pretty much  looking whiter now.

"What?" I inquired on account of curiosity.

"Nothing!" he paused. "it's just that he's just a fake friend" he told

"Said the guy who slept in his car" I rolled my eyes.

"it's not fair you know, pretending to like someone when they don't mean shit to you" he flickered his cigarette to remove the ash.

"He is my good friend." I replied "What ever you mean by 'fake friend'" I added.

"You're just saying that, it's against humanity." he paused again. "Lying"

I did not understand his point at all, all I could think of was to defy him so I breathed a little harder through my nose and said "Like you know anything about 'humanity'?"

His head was resting on the head of the seat, he got up a little and turned to me, "Yeah Ronnie! I do, and the truth is we are the same people, homeless, selfish, free-loaders, There's no argument on that"

He sat in his previous position again, blowing smoke towards the top of the car.
"We are very different! okay?" I replied.

There was silence between us for about 2-3 minutes, as he smoked towards the windshield, he said, without looking at me. "Yeah, I guess, I mean, I agree Ronnie, we are different"

I was shocked, he was never nice to me, why would he agree with me.

"At least I know my parents loved me" he giggled softly after that sentence.

I froze for a second, I never talked about my parents, in-fact, no one ever talked about my parents. Not having a loving mom or a caring dad was the one thing in my life that I did not get to choose. I was brought up in an orphanage, I had my guardians Mr. Mallete and his wife, they always treated me well, but as I grew up, I found out that they were not my real mom or dad, I was so shocked as well as broken, I ran away from that house and became a street-child when I was 9, and ever since, no one has asked or cared about my parents.

"Hey! Ronnie" he asked softly.
I was holding back my tears, my throat was hurting, I did not want to hear his ugly voice, he said again "Hey!" softly, whispered.

"What?" I exclaimed

"You don't know them right?" he busted out laughing. I could not believe him.
"Wow! at least my parents cried when I left" he giggled and inhaled a lot of smoke.
Tears were flooding my eyes, everything was so blurry, I could not hear his bullshit anymore, I hit the brakes, it forcefully pushed me forward and the car halted with a jerk, I saw him from the corner of my eye, smirking as if it was his whole point. I could not care less about what he thought or did, but he had really touched a nerve. I got out of the car a slammed the door shut behind me.

I was in Milton.Ontario in-front of Tim Horton's Cafe and Bake Shop, I only walked a fewpaces when I heard the engine reverse, not looking back I knew, he drove away.