Chapter 25

'Why! Oh, why did I do that? Why did he do that?' I hopped on the wooden floor, and rushed my way to the room, while the screaming imprecations inside my head made me feel bitterly guilty. I needed a while, alone, away from Jason and gradually calm myself down.
As I heard Jason's heavy footsteps, advancing towards my room, I pulled out my burner phone and pretended to do something on it.

"Babe!" his voice, followed by a knock on the door.

"Yes?" I questioned

"The food's here" he said, swinging the door wide open.

"Just a second" I told, going through my call log, trying to avoid eye contact.

I heard him scoff, he then left. I felt a strange embarrassment, rather shyness. I froze to where I stood.

"You coming?" his faint voice asked from the kitchen, after some time

"No, I'm not hungry" I replied aloud.

I tried to sleep, but all efforts were in vain. I kept rolling, tossing and turning all night, but couldn't seek rest. I found myself thinking about Jason constantly, my eyes turned to the door thrice, thinking he might show up to check on me, but he didn't, even though he went to the kitchen, once or twice.
I saw the initial rays of the dawn, as the sun unveiled itself from the black, thick layer of darkness. It was then, my eyes shut themselves and my mind was put to rest.

I heard the door bell ring, followed by heavy fists, knocking on the main door. I peeled my eyes open and furiously glared at the ceiling. The pounding got worse and worse, so I got up to open the door.

My jaw dropped when I found Costello standing at our threshold.
He wore a black suite and shades. He was undoubtedly smoking a cigar.

"Good morning" he greeted warmly. "how are you?" he had a smile on his face

I couldn't process what to say, he wouldn't just drop by to meet me. "I'll get Jason" I said reluctantly

"I'm afraid that won't be necessary" he told, flickering off the ashes.
"It is you, whose company I demand" his tone was stiff.

I nodded nervously, "Can I at least inform him that I'm leaving?" I questioned

"My dear girl, you blabber too much, come with me now" he said scoffing

I found him offensive and harsh, but I had to do what he wanted, for he was my boss. He led me to his black limousine. I gazed at the interior in awe. The window glass had been shaded black. The leather seats were comfy.

"I'm sorry to call upon unannounced" Costello began

I smiled nervously.

"Mr McCann, as you assumed, was not in bed sleeping" he said, blowing out white smoke

I nodded my head, "Where is he then? "

I tried looking outside, but it was barely see through. I had not even the slightest notion about where he was taking me.

"I am sure about the fact that you are aware of the heroic feat Mr McCann performed last night" he said

"Yes, I'm aware" I nodded

"To put you out of your curiosity, I shall inform you that I am taking you to the dwelling, which I hereby declare belongs to Mr McCann" he informed

I couldn't help but smile as wide as I could, a wave of satisfaction and relief rushed through my body.

"Mr McCann requested for your presence, but I must congratulate you equally on this achievement" he shook me warmly by the hand.

Finally the car stopped and on stepping out, I felt my heart beat faster and harder than ever. I was so overwhelmed by the sight. A colossal building stood alone, surrounded by cypress trees. It was located in the heart of the mountain range.

"Your dotting companion awaits you, shall we go in?" Costello's voice brought me back from cloud 9.

I walked through the main door, and for some time I froze at the threshold. The house was big with white walls. the floor was covered with thick red carpet, my feet dug into the fluffy material as I walked. A huge black screen caught my eye. A cream couch sat in front of it. My eyes shifted from one thing to another and the joy kept increasing. The house was beautiful and full furnished with plenty luxuries.

Finally I heard Jason's voice, "Ronnie!"

I looked around and saw his descending the stairs, he ran to me and hugged me tightly.