Chapter 22

Grey clouds hung over our heads, the frequent lightning hilighted their purplish boundaries. I had hated the sound of thunder, ever since I was a child, Jason walked next to me, his hands in his pockets. When we were halfway home, a thunder roared, loud enough to make me clench Jason's arm, his eyes expressed an unsympathetic look. I had to restrain my fear.
We reached home silently and awfully drenched. I felt very insecure, the way my clothes stuck to my body because of being wet. Jason took off his jacket and shook it for some time, dusting off the water. His white T-shirt had gone so transparent, that I could tell every single feature of his body easily.

"I promised to explain everything when I get home, so ask away" he spoke

"Ok, firstly who was that old man?" I began, shifting my eyes from his body to the blank walls.

"Costello, is no ordinary old man, he's Nevada's most wanted, not just a drug dealer, he's a real time gangster, the head of auto theft and other criminal activities, even a mass murderer"

"What does he want from us?" I felt my heart at my throat.

"You know that guy I sold the cars to?" he enquired

I nodded
"That guy told Costello about me, that I steal cars and sell them, so now Costello wants me to do the same thing for him" he told

"And you agreed?" I asked

"Readily" he replied curtly

"How does this include me?" I questioned

"You are the bait" he told

"Bait?" I repeated

"Yes, Costello thinks hurting you would consequently hurt me" he said, running his fingers through his wet hair

"How wrong his theory is, why did you even drag me into this?" I asked

"It wasn't me, you see, Costello's guys told him about the girl in the car, he ordered them to go out and shoot her, but then I took the risk and told them she was with me" he explained

I clenched my teeth at the fact that I almost got shot.

"That girl is you, so if you observe, I saved your life" he added

"Save me? You put my life in danger, now Nevada's most wanted man wants to kill me" I said, feeling like pulling my hair out.

"He said he killed his own wife, he will most definitely kill me" I spoke loudly

"If you leave me" he added

"Why does he care if I leave you or not, hell we're not even together" I said

"Oh Ronnie" he said, shaking his head "He only wants to make sure no information about him leaks out, he's only threatening you" he explained

I didn't reply to that, I felt so weak.

"Forget about the shit" he said, pulling out two thick bundles of dollar bills, a white tape around each of them. "He paid me for the car" he told with a wide smile.
I shook my head in denial, I was sure to be destined to death.
"Calm down babe, he said he can make me a millionaire in no time" his tone was awfully calm

"So what now, I steal cars with you?" I asked, dramatically throwing my hands in the air, then bringing them back

"I guess" he said, opening a beer can.

I stomped into my room and sat in a corner, furiously cursing Jason at first but then my anger changed into sorrow and I broke out sobbing and bawling my eyes out.
After some time I heard a knock at the door, I looked up to see Jason walk in.

"I heard you sob" he told sitting close to me

"Go away" I requested wiping my tears away

"Look I'm gonna be honest with you" he said with a soft sigh. "You were dragged into this Because I had to save your life at first, but then Costello told me how he could make me a millionaire and I felt that I could help you"
he said and licked his lips, "I know you can live on your own, you're independent but I can help you" he put his hand on my shoulder "Let me help you"

"I don't want your help" I said, slapping his hand off from my shoulder.

He sighed softly. "Listen, I know you don't 'want' my help but you 'need' it. I respect you as a woman, but I think, I need to protect you." his words were soothing yet I felt perplexed. I pursed my lips, trying to hold back my tears.
"I'm the only one you have, Let me comfort you"

"The only comfort you can provide is, leaving me alone" I said rudely

"If that's what you want" he said getting up.
He walked to the door, I felt an urge to stop him, and ask him to stay with me, but I restrained. He turned around to look at me one last time, then walked out without saying anything.