Chapter 10; Christmas walk

The snow was biting cold, as millions of snow flakes dropped from the grey clouds in the sky. Sherlock and John were on a walk to burn of fat after their Christmas dinner, back at Baker Street Amber, Mary and Mrs Hudson were cleaning up.

Snowflakes gently landed on Sherlock's trench coat as him and John walked through the centre of London. Carol singers were singing beautifully as they both walked past. John and Sherlock decided to sit on a wall by the river thames.

"Hangover?" John questioned.

"No. How can I be hangover when I wasn't even drunk last night?" Sherlock snapped.

"Sherlock, you were drunk and so was Amber. You could both hardly walk." John chuckled.

"Wrong, wrong, wrong. You're always wrong. Amber and I weren't drunk last night, we played a trick on you all and it worked." Sherlock corrected.

"Why and how did you play a trick on us all?"

"Oh my, is it not obvious John? I mean, I've already told you that Irene was going to show up. I was correct, I knew she was going to come and so did Amber, we both acted drunk to trick you guys because most humans either get really happy or really angry when they're drunk. When Irene showed up, I was outside holding her hand, it made Amber angry and therefore she did what she did but you guys weren't surprised: We were 'drunk', we both had an excuse, we weren't really drunk though, it was all a trick and it worked. A trick to get rid of Irene, although she will be back. However, we were surprised Moriarty wasn't there." Sherlock mumbled.

John gazed at the floor and watched the snow settle calmly on the ground.

"Right, so how's you and Amber?" John puzzled.

"We're fine, why wouldn't we be fine? Actually John I need to ask you a question about Amber."

"You, want to ask me a question? What about?" John chuckled.

"Is it too early? Too early to ask her?" Sherlock pleaded.

John and Sherlock stared into each other's eyes as the snow gently fell around them.

"Ask her what, Sherlock?" John asked.

"I want to marry her. It's too early isn't it? Why did I ask, I'm an idiot." Sherlock mumbled.

"You? You want to marry Amber?" John chuckled.

"Yes John. Why? Why are you laughing. What's so amusing? Why are you enjoying this. John stop laughing, what's the answer is it too early?"

"No Sherlock, it's not. Do what you want, I mean you usually do."

John and Sherlock sat quietly on the wall as they watched the cars and busses go across London Bridge. Sherlock was thinking about marrying her when an idea came into his head.

"John, come pick an engagement ring with me?" Sherlock demanded.

"Fine!" John mumbled.

Together, they both jumped off the wall and started walking towards the shops.

They had reached a jewellery shop. Rings, bracelets and necklaces filled the shelves, towards the left was the engagement rings.

"John?" Sherlock shouted.

John walked up behind Sherlock and looked at the ring Sherlock was holding.

"What about this one?" Sherlock asked.

"How much is it?" John questioned.

"£2500"

"Do you have that much?" John wondered.

"Yes."

Sherlock ran over to the lady who was stacking the shelves and asked if he could have the ring in a medium size. The lady nodded and went into the back room to find one, John and Sherlock waited patiently for the lady. She finally came back with the gorgeous engagement ring, she opened up the box and showed Sherlock.

"This one?" The lady asked.

"Yes please." Sherlock said politely.

Sherlock slid his credit card into the machine and put his pin into it. He paid and took the bag with the box which held the engagement ring inside.

John and Sherlock walked out the Jewellery shop both looking happy.

"So, when you going to do it?" John wondered.

"Wait and you shall find out John." Sherlock snapped.

John looked up at Sherlock and smiled, was he actually going to engage a women?

Sherlock and John walked back to Baker Street. Sherlock got out his key from his coat pocket and slid it into the key hole, they both strolled up stairs to see Mary and Amber playing with Olivia.

Sherlock walked over to Amber and gently pressed his lips on her forehead.

"What you got there?" Amber wondered.

"Nothing. Just a bag of crisps for John." Sherlock stuttered.

John frowned at Sherlock and he winked back at John.

"Yes, I'll take it off you now, Sherlock." John shouted.

John took the bag from Sherlock's hand and as he walked past Sherlock he whispered...

"Put it inside my wardrobe in my bedroom."

John nodded and did exactly what Sherlock told him to. He came back and sat down in his chair in front of the fire. Mary sat in Sherlock's chair while Sherlock and Amber were playing with Olivia, Sherlock would spin the toys that were connected to Olivia's bouncer and she would laugh at it. Mary, John and Amber were watching him do this, Amber was smiling at Sherlock and Amber playing together.

"Believe it or not, you would make a great Dad, Sherlock." Mary chirped.

"Thanks." He mumbled as Olivia grabbed Sherlock's index finger.

The five of them sat there in front of the fire laughing and playing with Olivia for hours.