Chapter 9: Mixed Emotions

A current ran through your spine, the butterflies returning to your stomach. Was he.. suggesting something? Surely not. But there was a definite intensity in his eyes, something was there, something that made your heart race.

V continued to hold your gaze, before the corners of his lips turned up into a mysterious smile. You felt your cheeks flush slightly, a nervous shiver in your chest.

Before you could manage any words, he shifted a little, stretching his arms. "Ah, I'm really going to get it from the members for earlier.." He laughed.

Coming back to reality, you cleared your throat. "Will things be okay with Jungkook?"

"For me, or for you?" He asked back, raising an eyebrow at you. "He was holding onto you pretty tight, I'm surprised he let you come after me."

You sighed, closing your eyes and hanging your head. You thought of the image of Jungkook's expression, the look of hurt and confusion when you turned away from him, after he had been fighting to protect you. The memory made your stomach sink.

V spoke again, standing up. "It'll be fine for both of us. He's basically my best friend, and if you talk to him you'll probably find he's more worried than upset. He's not an angry kind of person." He held his hand out to you. "Come on, let's go."

Resigned, you reached up and took his hand. But as you were standing, V used his strength pull you towards him fast, so you stumbled forward on your feet - your face ending up just inches from his.

You leant away slightly, your back stiffening and your eyes wide, but he kept a hold on your hand, keeping your bodies close. He tilted his head slightly to one side, his eyes piercing yours. You felt the warmth of his hand, an electricity between you. After what felt like forever, he broke the moment, smirking and releasing you. He began to walk back the way you came.

"Come on," he said over his shoulder.

"...Uh- right." You muttered, trying to subdue the nervous sensation in your chest.

'What the hell was that?' You thought, shaking yourself as you went to follow him.

~~~

The next morning you walked to work holding a mixture of different emotions. Things with V were fixed, if a little.. confusing, but you felt so embarrassed about what had happened in front of the whole of BTS yesterday. Not to mention Jungkook...

You turned up your music. Whenever you needed to think, you walked to work wearing your headphones. It helped drown out the rest of the world.

As you approached the building you waved as you passed a few co-workers who were outside smoking, and approached the steps to the entrance. Just as you reached them, however, you felt your right earphone come out of your ear, interrupting your music. You stopped and turned your head to find none other than Jungkook standing there, making you jump.

"Jungkook..?" You said awkwardly.

"Morning! Uh, sorry to make you jump, but, well, I was waiting over there but you walked straight past and didn't hear me," he explained, holding up your headphone.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I was in my own world, I completely didn't see you.." You said, unplugging your phone and putting away the headphones.

Jungkook laughed a little, but his smile didn't reach his eyes. "It's okay - I know you need to get to work, I just wanted to give you these," he said.

He held out the clipboard and a few documents you'd left in the BTS practice the evening before. Until now, they had completely slipped your mind.

"On the piano.." You muttered, putting your hand on your forehead and cringing at your carelessness.

"I know you need these, you're always carrying that clipboard around, so I thought I'd give them back to you," he said. "And the choreo teacher got the things he needed too, so don't worry."

Taking back your belongings, you sighed, looking up at Jungkook. "Wow, I.. Thank you. You really saved my life. Thank you so much! I wouldn't have forgotten, but.." You trailed off, not wanting to revisit the memory of yesterday's tension.

He gave a slight nod, seeming more shy than usual. "It's okay. Uh, I should probably get back to practice.."

"Oh! Of course, please go ahead."

He began to walk away, leaving you with an awkward discomfort. Unable to turn away, you called after him impulsively.

"Are you- I mean.. Are things okay?" You asked, frowning in concern.

He just looked at you for a moment, his face slightly strained. "Don't worry, Y/N." And with that, he walked away.

You watched him go, uncertain. He was acting differently, seeming more closed off to you. It made sense, but was still unsettling. You wondered how yesterday had affected the boys. Taking a deep breath, you tried to push the thoughts to the back of your mind and walked up the stairs and into the building. Whatever the situation with BTS, you still had work to do.

▫️▫️▫️▫️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️▫️▫️▫️▫️