Chapter 4: Jungkook

As he saw your expression, Jungkook's face showed his concern. He stood close to you, and glanced back at the corridor to see that you had privacy. You managed to not let yourself cry, breathing deeply to try and calm yourself down, staring at your feet in shame.

"Y/N... Are you okay?" He asked, his head tilted to one side so his hair fell gently across his forehead.

"I... Yes. I just - I'm really sorry! I'm so embarrassed..." You muttered, frustrated.

You paused for a moment, then looked up to meet Jungkook's gaze. Your eyes locked for a second, giving you a faint flutter in your chest, when you both became suddenly aware of the fact that he was still holding onto your arm. He immediately retracted his hand, and you looked away awkwardly, clearing your throat. You stood side by side against the wall.

Jungkook spoke to fill the silence. "You don't need to apologise, you didn't do anything wrong. I don't know what's wrong with Taehyung! He's never been like that before..."

"Really?" You sighed, letting your anger ebb away, feeling resigned. "I don't know what I did so wrong, but he just seems to hate me being around..."

Jungkook paused in thought. "I don't think he hates you, so don't say that. Even though he was rude, please try to be understanding of him. I believe there are reasons for it, but it's not easy to explain... If you can, try to forgive him."

You sensed that there was meaning behind his words, so tried to accept what he said.

"Alright... I won't hold it against him. Like you said, there must be reasons." Suddenly, the thought of last night came to mind. "He hasn't said anything about me?"

"No, nothing." Jungkook shook his head. "But we only met you today didn't we?"

"Yes, of course," you nodded, trying to avoid suspicion.

'So he didn't tell them about last night... What's his game?' You wondered.

Suddenly, Jungkook turned to face you. "Y/N, can you trust me?"

"Uh- yes.. Why?" You responded, surprised.

"Truthfully the hyungs were furious at Taehyung after you left, and I'm sure one of them will talk to him. We don't hate you or think you're a burden at all. So, let's try to just forget about this, okay?" He spoke with such earnest sensitivity that you couldn't help but give a small smile. "...Hey, aren't you older than me anyway?"

"Um, yes, but barely. I was born in October, but I'm also a 97-liner," you replied.

"Ah, so you're just a month younger! See, you should speak comfortably with me at least." Jungkook grinned.

"Huh? No, no I can't! I still work beneath you all..."

"Okay, so, you work here, but you're still a human. So, why don't we compromise, and be friends? I won't let you say no!" He raised his eyebrows expectantly.

You laughed at his cute behaviour, the tension from before lifted by his kindness. As you looked at his coy smile and his perfect eyes, you felt your cheeks blush.

"Well, alright, if you insist," you smiled.

"Good. I'm glad you're not upset anymore. You should only ever want to smile," he said in a quieter voice.

His gaze lingered on you for a long moment, before he glanced back down the corridor.

"I should, uh, probably get back to the preparation room-"

"Ah, of course, go ahead!" You agreed.

He gave another smile, then turned to walk away. As he did, you called out to him. "And Jungkook? ..Thank you."

Smiling, he gave one small nod, then continued back to the room.

You waited a little longer in your hiding place, hand on your forehead as you processed all that had happened. Even though you still felt uneasy about V's behaviour, Jungkook's sweetness was comforting. After all, he'd followed you to make sure you were alright, and reached out to you as a friend. A smile lingered on your lips.

"Ah, what the hell?" You said quietly out loud to yourself, laughing slightly.

You hadn't expected your first day working with the group would be so.. Interesting.

▫️▫️▫️▫️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️▫️▫️▫️▫️

So what will happen next with V?