chapter thirty two

" wake up " an unfamiliar voice groaned from the side of my bed, making me stir in my sleep.
" get the fuck up " they yelled again, making my eyes jolt open as soon as it clicked in my head.
I sat up straight, turning to the side to see Harper, stood with a stern look on her face and a raised brow.
" Harper, what are you doing here? " I asked, a dumbfounded expression on my face as the words escaped my mouth.
The girl rolled her eyes, resting her chin in the palm of her hand and sighing.
" nice to see you too. I didn't want to come here, you know " She shrugged, still not giving me an answer.
" answer my question. Why are you in my room, let alone my house? " I ran a hand through my bed hair, attempting to get rid of some of the knots.
Harper stood up, sitting back down on my desk chair this time with a smile.
" My mom wanted me to come see you. She thinks we're like bestfriends " She told me, making me scoff.
" as much as I love your mom, Harper, I'm pretty sure she's thinking back to 4th grade. And even then I didn't want to have anything to do with you " I glared.
I folded my arms across my chest and watched the pretty girl exhale, her smile disappearing whilst what looked like a genuine frown appeared. I almost felt bad for what I had said, until I remembered that she had tried to flirt with my cousins boyfriend.
" look, I'm sorry for everything I did. I know you'll probably never want to be friends, but can we at least agree to be civil? That's all I want " She pleaded, her eyes showing complete sorrow and guilt, something which made me do a double take.
I didn't know what to say. I felt the anger bubbling up inside of me, but all disappeared when I looked into her brown eyes. She looked as if she could burst any second, and I didn't want that to happen. Even though we might not have gotten along all of the time as kids, there are some good memories.
" did your mom send you over here to say that, Harper? " I huffed, watching her roll her hazel eyes.
" If I'm being completely honest, she doesn't even know I'm here " she announced, making my smug smirk disappear.
I let out a sigh, something which was probably a good sign on her behalf. I watched her eyes now fill with hope as she sat up straight, and looked at me desperately.
" fine. On one condition... " I spoke, not sure of what the condition would be, though I thought I should have one.
Harper nodded eagerly, willing to do anything as she waited anxiously for the rule.
Something clicked in my brain as I looked at her, making a smirk appear on my lips.
" you have to come with me to Kaylee's, and apologise " I announced, watching her jaw drop.
Before she could interrupt, I held my hand up, telling her no buts. The girl ignored it, still speaking anyway.
" it wasn't like I knew they were together, let alone expecting a baby! If I knew I definitely wouldn't have acted like that. You know me enough to know that I would never ever try and get in the way of a relationship " She blurted out, her words full of emotion as she struggled to say it.
I thought back, remembering exactly what she was referring to. As young as fifteen might seem to be in love, she was, and all of that was thrown right back in her face when she was betrayed. Ever since then she promised herself to never make someone else feel the pain that she did.
" you're still apologising. Kaylee doesn't know that, does she? "

I tried to hold in my laugh as Ethan sat awkwardly on the other side of the couch, his girlfriend staring at Harper dumbfounded.
" I would never try and ruin a relationship... you both seem really happy together... " Harper said awkwardly, whilst I motioned for her to carry on.
Before she could even get another word in, a Kaylee stood up, pointing down to the ground.
It was like someone had just performed the craziest magic trick for Harper, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion as my cousin demanded for her to get on the floor.
" beg " Kaylee smirked, crossing her arms against her chest, making her bump stand out even more.
The apologetic girl's eyes went wide at the command and she threw her hands up in the air.
" I came here to apologise, not get on my knees and cry for your forgiveness " Harper groaned, whilst my cousin shrugged.
" I was kidding. I forgive you " Kaylee chuckled, shaking her head.
My jaw almost dropped to the floor when she spoke to her, my mind whirling with thoughts. How did she forgive her so easily? I was expecting a lifetime of begging for Harper.
" you do? " Harper and Ethan both said in unison, just as confused as me.
Kaylee looked at the three of us with a laugh, sitting back down and patting the spot beside her for me to join.
" yes. There's no point holding grudges " She defended herself, making me raise a brow once again.
" oh really? And since when has this been your motto? " I teased, earning a sigh from the soon to be mother.
" since I got pregnant. I want my kid to have a drama-free life. That's something that I never had " Kaylee mumbled, looking down at her belly.
I saw the emotion in her eyes, making my stomach turn and my heart pound. My whole family really has been through a lot, and I give major credits to Kaylee for managing to handle all of this so well. Kaylee's dad died when she was eleven, and they had the most amazing and unbreakable bond you could ever imagine. It broke her heart, and to top it all off, a few years later her mom starting dating a man. He was rude, obnoxious, and fake, but that wasn't it. He was also abusive, sexually and mentally towards my cousin. As soon as my auntie found out he was reported, booted out of the house and never to be seen again, something which potentially saved her life. You never know how that could have ended.
She wouldn't be able to do all of this without Ethan by her side, without a doubt.

I looked up at Harper, who's eyes were glossy and arms were crossed. She hesitantly stepped forward, a nervous look on her face as she spoke.
" can I? " Harper managed to ask, looking as if she could melt into a puddle of tears on the ground, something which confused but also touched me.
The girl was referring to Kaylee's belly, her hand shakily reaching out as my cousin nodded, and stood up. Ethan and I watched together as Harper bent down, Kaylee's belly now exposed as she had lifted her shirt slightly.
The look on Harper's face was one I had never seen before, and can't describe. It was as if she was making contact with the one thing missing in her life, so far away but so close.
She let out a breath, her eyes watery as she gently rubbed, and smiled.
Without hesitation her happy look stopped and her head arose, her lip quivering. Harper regained her confidence and shook her head, blinking gently before saying the words that poked a hole straight through my heart.
" you're going to be an amazing mom. You should be told that while you have the chance "

_______________________________

what do you think is up with Harper??
also do you like her maybe a little bit more than you did??