CHAPTER [ 4 6 ]

Începe de la început

Instantly, she felt cold, longing for his presence again. Like he said, he was back in a flash. She thought she heard Jasmine's voice calling him but he walked straight out and took her hand in his. Just then Jasmine appeared at the door frame.

Robyn turned to see her as Ray pulled her to his car.

"Where are you going?" She demanded.

Ray continued forward, squeezing Robyn's hand. Although she couldn't see his face, she knew he was angry. She felt it. The car blinked as he unlocked it and opened the door for her.

"Ray! Are you ang--"

The door slammed shut, cutting Jasmine's voice short. Robyn watched as Ray made his way to the driver's side in a second, getting in and revving the engine. She quickly clicked her seatbelt in place as the car accelerated.

Through the rear view mirror, she saw Jasmine's figure becoming smaller and smaller the further away they drove. Robyn looked at Ray's profile. His jaw was clenched, his shoulders tight and his fingers gripping the wheel with too much force.

She felt like it all happened really quickly, but she didn't mind. She was glad he was getting away from there, with her.

After a few more seconds, he released a breath and relaxed back into his seat. He lowered the window next to him, cool breeze filling inside the car. His hair was wet and curly, reaching just above his shoulders, some strands stuck to his neck. Seeing his neck brought back thoughts from earlier.

"Are you cold?" He asked, breaking Robyn's ogling.

She blushed, glad that his eyes were fixed on the road. Suddenly feeling heat rise in her body Robyn replied, "no."

Ray kept his elbow on the window frame, tilting his head back against the head rest, exposing more of his neck.

She had to look away then, reaching over to lower the window on her side too.

"Robyn..." His voice was low, "I really am sorry about what happened."

When she turned to him, he was sitting up straighter than before.

"They said they had a surprise but... I really wasn't expecting--"

Robyn cut him off before he could finish the sentence.

"It's not your fault," she repeated. "It was unexpected and..." And what? She was angry, sure, but she was angry at those girls, and Chloe and Jasmine. They must have certainly known. "And let's just forget that happened, okay?" She finished.

Ray shifted, then looked at her briefly. He smiled and said, "forgotten."

The tension lifted at that. But Robyn reminded herself to speak to Jasmine about her intentions, and perhaps remind her to back off from Ray because they were, in fact, dating.

She was too consumed in thinking all the different ways she could tell Jasmine what she wanted without sounding too harsh to notice that they had already reached her neighbourhood. Ray parked his car in the driveway since Laila was still at her mother's.

He killed the engine and got out first, walking around to open Robyn's door.

"Your mum not back yet?" He questioned, following Robyn to the front door.

"She's returning tomorrow night," Robyn held the house key in her hand, not wanting to go in yet.

Ray stood close next to her, his clothes still damp but with dry patches. His hair, however, was too dense to dry so quickly. He looked at her, in thought.

"So, I'll see you on Monday?" His voice was almost a whisper. He made no effort to leave.

Robyn bit her lip, seeing his eyes follow the movement.