You're breathtaking

Dear Katherine,

     The party was two days after. And I had bought a new shirt just for the occasion. I didn't even buy it to look good for the party—I did it to look good for you.

     I had gotten my hair trimmed that day. But I still kept the beibs haircut just because.

     I think I had texted you good morning and you replied back, but only an hour later.

     The party was at one thirty in the afternoon and would end at four thirty.

      You and your sister had arrived at around two and you were wearing a floral sundress. When your sister left your side to enter the games, I had went over to talk to you. You huffed and crossed your arms.

     “Is something wrong?” I had asked you.

     “It’s laundry day, so I had nothing to wear but this.” You had gestured down to your dress.

     “What’s the problem? You look beautiful,” I told you.

     “Oh shut up, Jonathan,” you had laughed. “I absolutely loathe dresses!”

     “Why?”

    “Because they limit me,” you had said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. And at that time, I didn’t understand what you had meant. But now, I think I do.

     The rest of the day, the kids just ate and played and ran. We, on the other hand, had spent the day talking and laughing and well, eating, too.

     You were already very comfortable with me, and not awkwardly shy like you were with me before. And I laughed at the thought that months ago, I had thought that you were incapable of speech. Now there I was, talking and laughing with you.

     When it was four thirty, the guests started to leave, though you and your sister were the last ones to leave. I was sort of sad that I didn’t get to meet your sister, but I was still happy since we got to hang out for hours and that unbelieveably, our siblings actually became friends that day.

     Before you left, I took you aside and told you “hey, Kath? Wait, can I call you Kath?”

     “Sure?”

     “Okay, Kath, I have something to tell you.”

     “What?” You had raised an eyebrow.

     “I like you. I really like you.”

     You had smiled, which caused me to smile, too. “Yeah, I sort of got the hint.”

     “What?”

     “I don’t think a guy would text me every night and compliment me every day if he doesn’t have even the slightest of feelings for me,” you laughed.

     “Oh.” I had let out a nervous chuckle.

     “Okay, bye,” you waved.

     “Bye.” I smiled as you left. And then I frowned when you were gone.

     Forever yours,

     Jonathan