23 // Truth is Silent

2004 Tree Hill, North Carolina

Aurora James, Brooke Davis, and Peyton Sawyer were hanging out together in Peyton's room. Peyton was going through her CDs, Brooke was on Peyton's computer and Aurora was sitting on the bed. They were talking about the reasons for Haley and Nathan getting married so quickly.

"Do you think Haley is pregnant?" Brooke asked. Aurora laughed a little while Peyton shook her head.

"Or maybe she's in love," Peyton said.

"I don't know, Brooke's theory has traction. What other reason do you get married at 17? Plus, given the track record of the Scott gene pool... both Deb and Karen got pregnant at 17, so..." Aurora trailed off and Peyton shook her head.

"Come on, Ari," Peyton said.

"What I'm just saying. Dan may be an asshole, but he has good genes. One look at those boys and boom...-" Brooke cut Aurora off.

"...-So does that mean you're pregnant too?" Brooke asked. Aurora rolled her eyes but she was still laughing.

"Shut up. Anyways, what's new in the music world, Peyton?" Aurora asked.

"I dunno. The new Keane's pretty good of Modest Mouse, Pilot to Gunners," Peyton said. Aurora had no idea who any of those people were, but she noticed Brooke was typing her answers into an online dating site.

"Keane... Mighty Mouse," Brooke repeated and Aurora laughed because that's not what Peyton said.

"It's Modest," Peyton corrected and then she noticed what Brooke was doing. "Why are you typing those?" Peyton asked. She was still at her bookshelf, but she could hear Brooke typing.

"Oh, Brooke is putting them in your turn-ons. She's adding you to the Lust Factor dot com," Aurora said. Peyton immediately turned around and tried to grab the mouse.

"Brooke!" She exclaimed. Brooke giggled as she submitted Peyton's profile.

"Oops! Too late," Brooke said and then she turned around. "We can check your scores in a couple of hours," She said. Peyton looked at Aurora.

"How could you let her do that? I told you I'm not about chasing guys right now," Peyton said. Aurora held her hands up in surrender. She couldn't control Brooke even if she tried.

"Doesn't mean I can't chase them for you, missy. If you're not about chasing guys, why are there half a dozen emails to Jake Jagielski in your sent message folder?" Brooke asked. Aurora turned to her friend and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, Peyton... why?" Aurora asked. Peyton rolled her eyes.

"He hasn't answered any of them, and I swear I am changing all of my passwords," Peyton said and the girls laughed.

"Mhmm," Aurora said.

"Okay, I don't know, alright? But ever since he who cannot be named...-" Aurora cut Peyton off.

"...-You can say his name, Peyton. I've known the guy since I was eight, I'm not going to burst into tears," Aurora said. The girls laughed again.

"Okay, okay, ever since Lucas, I just feel like I need to shake things up and not guys, okay? Like important stuff," Peyton said. Aurora nodded in agreement.

"I understand, and speaking of Lucas, he's waiting on us, Peyton... so we should probably get going," Aurora said. Brooke walked them to the door and then they got into Peyton's car together.

"What do you think he wants?" Peyton asked as she started the car. Aurora shrugged.

"If he's smart... forgiveness."