Twenty-two: Surprise!

Following the fight, Sigyn's fear that Thor was dead was thankfully short-lived, for rumours quickly went around that the Lord of Thunder had disappeared after the match. Sigyn was relieved - Thor was alive! Which meant that he was now sneaking around the city. And despite her bet with Loki, even if Thor had lost the match, she still would have fought to escape and get back home - with Loki or not.

Not everyone shared in her relief, though.

"I'm upset. I'm very upset," Grandmaster announced, tapping his foot impatiently as Loki and Scrapper 142 walked up to him, having been summoned urgently. "And you know what I like about being upset? The blame." He pointed to Loki. "Your brother - adopted or complicated or whatever the story is. And your contender-" He pointed to 142. "See what I'm getting at here?" He waved his accusing finger between the two.

"Grandmaster," interrupted Loki. "If I may-"

"Uh uh-" Grandmaster cut him off with another wave of his finger. "Hey, hey, don't interrupt me while I'm speaking. It's rude!" Topaz handed him his staff. "Why are you handing me the Melt Stick? He interrupted me, it's not a capital offence." Topaz stepped back.

"My friend, if you were to give me twelve hours I can have both the contender and your champion back to you," said Loki.

"I could do it in two." 142 stepped forward.

"And I could do it in one," Loki said smugly. From where she stood behind Grandmaster, Sigyn shook her head at him. Don't encourage.

A grin split across Grandmaster's face. "That's what I like to hear! Do know this though: I woke up this morning thinking about a public execution." He paused for dramatic effect. "Now, before you go to complete your mission, I have a public announcement to make-" Again, another dramatic pause. His face then split into an even wider grin. "I'm getting married!"

There was dead silence following his announcement. Even the music he always seemed to have playing in the background stopped abruptly. But nonetheless, Grandmaster just stood there, grinning from ear-to-ear.

"Oh. To who?" someone finally piped up.

"Me." Sigyn stepped forward with a hopefully not too obviously forced smile.

Again, dead silence. Loki's jaw nearly hit the floor.

"Yes, to the lovely Lady Sigyn here." Grandmaster took her hand and placed a kiss on the back of it.

"Oh. When's the wedding?" asked a guard.

"Tomorrow!"

"And you are all expected to attend," said Topaz in a monotone voice. "On penalty of death."

"So please," Grandmaster said, turning back to Loki and 142, still holding Sigyn's hand. "Don't taint my special day with the messiness of an execution."