Eight: Welcome Home

From where she stood in the hall outside the throne room, Sigyn could hear Odin and Loki's conversation

From where she stood in the hall outside the throne room, Sigyn could hear Odin and Loki's conversation. Frigga stood at her side. Sigyn wrung her hands nervously.

His wrists and ankles bound by shackles and chains, Loki was led before the king by the guards who just minutes before Sigyn had seen chain him up.

There sat Odin upon the throne. Loki stopped walking, turned and smiled. Odin looked at Loki. Loki looked at Odin. Both father and son regarded each other before Loki smiled again, giving a slight chuckle. "I really don't see what all the fuss is about."

"You truly do not feel the gravity of your crimes?"

Loki continued to smile. "I went down to rule the people of Earth as a benevolent god, to be their king. Just like you."

"We are not gods. We are born, we live, we die, just as humans do."

Loki shrugged. "Give some five thousand years difference. And do not forget that it was you who once said that I was born to be a king."

"So all of this because Loki desires a throne."

"It is my birthright."

"Your birthright WAS TO DIE!" roared Odin.

Sigyn flinched at the harshness of his words, echoing through the hall and out to where she could clearly hear them.

"As a child, cast out onto a frozen rock. If I had not taken you in then you would not be here now to hate me."

The hall held a tense silence for a moment before Loki spoke. "It's not that I don't love our little talks, it's just, well, I don't love them."

Odin appeared to sigh in frustration. "Frigga is the only reason you are still alive and you will never see her again for as punishment for your crimes I sentence you to life in prison. You will be taken down to the dungeons and there you shall remain."

Loki absorbed this. "And what of Thor?" he asked, trying to conceal his anger. "He will be King?"

"Thor must strive to undo the damage you have done and once he has done so then yes, he will ascend to the throne."

"So you'll make that brainless oaf king while I rot away in chains?"

Odin stared hard at his son before he answered simply, "yes." Then he gave a nod to the guards as the signal to take the prisoner away.

Back out in the hall, Frigga reached out and gave Sigyn's hand a supportive squeeze. She gave a small smile in return.

The heavy hall doors opened then and the guards emerged, holding Loki by the chains, on their way to the dungeons.

Sigyn tried not to look. She did not want to, but she couldn't help it. The more she looked, the less she saw her friend. Maybe by not looking a small part of the old Loki would remain...

They met eyes. Loki stopped walking, but the guards tugged on the chains, dragging him along. She tore her gaze away. She sighed - now here she was, hiding from her best friend.

He looked the same, yet different. Older, wiser, as though he had seen so much in his time away. And it had hardened him, toughened him, turned him to stone. He was familiar, yet unfamiliar at the same time.

"Guards," she called, her voice sounding high-pitched. This made them stop for a moment. Slowly, she approached. She stared up at him. He stared down at her.

"Welcome home," was all she said before turning away, not giving him a chance to say anything. She heard the clinking of the chains as the guards led him away. She had a battle to return to.

(Ah, a nice warm welcome home for Loki post-'Avengers' ;) I love 'The Dark World', so I'm excited about this part of the story that follow's that movie's story line! Thanks so much for reading, hope you enjoyed!)