Nine: Distant and Confused Hearts

The people applauded and cheered as he made his way up to the front of the ceremony hall, to take his place as king, their king, King of Asgard

The people applauded and cheered as he made his way up to the front of the ceremony hall, to take his place as king, their king, King of Asgard. They all bowed as he passed by, a long green cloak trailing behind him.

Up ahead there was Lady Sif and the Warriors Three, all who bowed and smiled as he passed by.

And there she was, at the very front, waiting for him. She also smiled and bowed.

He smiled. "My Queen."

She grinned back. "My King."

They joined hands and shared a passionate kiss. The crowd continued to cheer for their king and queen...

Ah, how joyous. How perfect. How it should have been.

Instead, here he was, a prisoner of his own home.

"Odin continues to bring me new friends every day," he said to Frigga, who was paying him a visit, as he watched the guards bring in masses of prisoners from the Asgardians' peacekeeping missions across the Realms. "How thoughtful."

Frigga tried to change the subject. "The books I sent, do they not interest you?"

"Is that how I am to spend away eternity? Reading?"

"You always loved reading. I could think of worse ways to spend my time." He grunted in reply. She sighed. "Loki, please try to not make this worse than it already is."

"Define 'worse.'"

"Well for one, you could be dead. I fought long and hard to make Odin see the wrong in his decision sentencing you to death. I knew far too well that he would never live with himself had he done so. I have tried to make you as comfortable down here as I can Loki."

"Ah, have you? And does Odin share your concern? Does Thor? It must be so tiring them asking after me day and night."

"Sigyn helped me to assess what would make you most comfortable."

This made him smile. "Did she? And what of dear Sigyn? Does she ask after me at all? I have been waiting for her to come and visit."

"Give her time."

He heaved a sigh. "Such a legacy to leave behind."

"You know very well that it was your actions which brought you here."

"My actions. I was merely giving truth to the lie that I had been fed my entire life. That I was born to be a king."

"A true king admits his faults. And what of the lives you took on Earth?"

"A mere handful compared to the ones Odin has taken himself."

"Your father-"

"HE IS NOT MY FATHER!" The cell practically shook with his sudden shout.