//Finale// Part 2

Start from the beginning

"You and Tidus seem close enough; I assume he fed you his story? Well, legend has it, his father wasn't the only one cursed by the Ice Queen. Dracula had a friend he eventually became enemies with. When the queen discovered his friend helped Dracula escape from the Otherworld, she cursed him too. Dracula lost his freedom and his friend lost his mind."

"Oh-kay. What does this have to do with me?"

"Dracula's friend was the first Wolf. But that voice in his head, it wasn't real. It was his conscience he was hearing--over and over until it drove him mad. As for me, I got used to the voice--with a little outside help. There are drugs out there, pharmaceuticals, some legal -some not; they dim the voice--just like a radio." Paris snapped her fingers. "Not many Wolves know their origins and if they do they don't believe. I don't blame them. If they did believe it would drive them crazy too. That's why Dracula's family, and the Nobles, have always kept the truth a secret--even from you."

"That sounds as crazy as the Queen's curse. I mean, where's the evidence?"

"There is none. There are only Dracula's claims--and those secrets died with him. Either way, you're free, kiddo."

Free from the madness... To be wolf is to be cursed.

I sniffed, wiping my eyes before they could tear. "Imaginary or not, my wolf existed--she was real; no one can take that away from me. Not even you, mom."

Most parents would have been offended; Paris couldn't have been prouder. "You get that stubbornness from your father."

"Charles thought that was a bad thing."

"He thought I was a bad thing too."

Some apples escape the tree; some never do.

"Kiddo, I know I'm a deadbeat. But I knew I was doing the right thing when I left. I also knew Charles would protect you. even though he hated me. Must be why he took it out on you. I'm sorry for that, really." Paris slipped her hands in her jacket pockets. "I left because I was afraid, afraid that if Catherine found me she would find you too. When I was about your age, I realized she was evil, and left her coven--I ran. I didn't stop looking over my shoulder until I met your father. We never could have married if I hadn't been turned, but that's what saved me--it saved all of us."

"If that's your reasoning for not revealing the identity of the person who turned you, then--"

"Then, nothing. I'm telling you enough." Her eyes flared, almonds of gold that warned me not to argue. "When Catherine found me..." Paris' beautiful eyes faded, shimmering gold returned to deadly grey. She swallowed, her pulse quickened. "Instead of facing her, like I should have... I ran. Again. I've been a rogue ever since."

And a coward.

"I don't understand why Catherine was after you to begin with. She talks about my magic like it's hers, like it belongs to her--"

"Yeah? Says that to me too. It's the same old song and dance every time we meet. Why do you think she's spent so many years chasing me? I inherited my powers from Catherine. Little did I know I was just her personal incubator. She wants her magic back."

Catherine was a sickness - I had goosebumps, chills, and an uncontrollable fever that turned my hands to burning fists. No. But that would make her... That means...

Paris nodded, lips pursed at the sourness of it. "Catherine's your grandmother, Naomi."

Of course she was.

Does Tidus know too? Am I alone in the dark? "Right. Well, I hope you don't miss her too much when she's gone." Catherine's blood in my veins wouldn't stop me from killing her. I wouldn't have been surprised should it have given me the strength to see the job done.