//Sacrifice// Part 4

Mrs. Trentley searched high and low for Catherine's doll. After a week, Tidus warning about Catherine had proven itself true. Catherine was dangerous, and for as long as that doll was lurking, the manor wasn't safe.  

"Quit?" Mrs. Trentley grunted as she poured my juice. She refused to let the doll keep her from her normal routine-like serving my breakfast every morning because my mother had never done it for me. "Stop my entire my life for a doll? Darling, I've got retirement to think about. "

"Then how about a paid leave of absence?" I reached across the dining table, snagging a sausage from a serving dish. "I'm sure you could use a vacation, right?" I certainly can...

"Listen, you, it's your grandparents that sign my checks and I'm not going anywhere until they stop." Mrs. Trentley slid a piece of toast on my plate, filling the remaining space with bacon. "While I appreciate your concern, I'd like it just as much if you'd let me do my job."

I sighed. "I just don't want you or any of the staff to get hurt--"

"We're Human, luv--we're designed to be hurt--might as well get paid for it. Besides, your grandfather is still out of town; I couldn't possibly leave you alone here. You'd get lost just finding your way to the gallery."

"Wait, we have a gallery?"

"See what I mean?"

But I didn't have time for gallery-hunting. Ethan and I were dancing at cotillion that night. We still had enough issues between us that it would be impossible to dance between the distance. So when I texted him that afternoon to invite him to Luke's bar, it was a genuine attempt at civility. Hopefully feelings of forgiveness would follow.

"Root-beer? Are we ten?" Ethan raised his brow at the drink.

"Why do I do things for you? It's the only beer Luke would sell me. Enjoy your suffering--that part's on me." I slid inside the booth, happy we sat across from one another and not side-by-side. The bar included, there were other places we need to start practicing distance...  

"Hey, have you heard from your grandfather, lately? I've been trying to get hold of him for the past three days and no dice. He hasn't returned a single call."

"Hm..." I chewed my lip, wondering whether to be alarmed. It was normal for Charles to leave town, even for weeks, but it wasn't like him at all not to check in with his Alpha. Personally, I hadn't spoken to my grandfather since he'd left--and had made no plans to do so until after his return. Once we spoke, I'd have to deliver the news about my decision to join the Council. That was a conversation I'd gladly placed on hold. "I'm sure he's just... busy. Give Charles some time. He'll be home for the next circle. He always is."

"Yeah, guess you're right..." Ethan stared broodingly down at his bottle, rolling it between his palms. "So... you've been kinda distant too. We haven't done our thing in while."

I crossed my legs, craving something harder than soda. Something that went down so much deeper...

Jesus. Is sex the only way we'll ever get alongWhy does he still have this effect on me?

<<You know why.>>

"Please, Ethan. I'm sure you've had plenty of other girls to keep you company. You don't miss me at all."

"How would you know?" The lamenting was over, incinerated by the heat.

"Because of what you've been saying to Adelle. I know you've talked to her about me, Ethan. Just like I know the only reason you're buttering me up is so you can impress Charles--"