//Alliance// Part 3

Everyone was proud of me; those who weren't had the etiquette to pretend. But what really mattered was the vengeance the Garou and the Revenant so longed for. Chandler and I continued my training, our time divided by the latest mission-the search for Dracula. Meanwhile, the Supernaturals prepared for war.

Chandler taught me a powerful spell that blocked magic, which the Alpha had the good sense to turn into a weapon-a brand. The Leadership joined forces with the Revenant, and slowly we began to weed out members of the Red Hand. Harbor Village was at peace in the daylight, but when the sun went down, the night rang with war.

The Leadership smashed windows and kicked in doors, ransacking the homes of Witches known to follow the Red Hand. The Revenant couldn't enter premises without the owner's permission, so they skulked at property edges, prepared to set blaze to everything and everyone should the Leadership fail the brandings. 

Witches who defied us were struck down by the jaws that snapped at their throats, while those who yielded received my brand on the back of their necka crescent moon I delivered with just the touch of my palm. We didn't ask them to surrender. We didn't ask for their lives. We simply took their magic.

"I wasn't there--I wasn't there! I've never even used my magic to kill! Please--how can you do this to me?" The young warlock had shaken himself into a puddle. He was only seconds from receiving penance for the sins of his brothers and sisters, and I couldn't tell what motivated him most-the fear of losing his magic forever, fear of the wolves circling the room, or fear of me.

"I do this because I have to, because your leader gave me no choice! Besides, it's not all Witches we're after..." I took his arm, pulling up the sleeve to expose the tiny star tattooed on the inside of his wrist. "Just the ones stupid enough to follow Catherine." I shoved his hand aside. "We sent out the decree. We gave the Red Hand a week to leave the Village--yet you stayed. Idiot." I straightened. "You're lucky I haven't killed you. But if I catch you practicing magic in my town again, I will."

He was thin and shaky as a reed in the wind, my Wolves nipping at his fingers and heels. He was taller than me and judging by the herbs upended at our feet during the struggle, he knew a thing or two about magic. But he had nothing at all that outranked my crown and scepter. With a click of my fingers he was kneeling at my feet, buried beneath my invisible bricks.

"Don't worry." I bent over and tweaked his chin. "It'll hurt, but not for long." I reached for his collar...

"Wait! Wait!" Hands raised, he shrank back. I straightened, hand on my hip, rolling my eyes as I waited for the same old song and plead. "I know what you want--and I can give it to you."

I chuckled. "You're not my type. I'd destroy you in bed."

"Not me. Dracula. I can give you Dracula."

I squatted, until we were nose-to-nose, until he saw my golden eyes up close. "Okay, I'll bite." I clicked my teeth. "But if you're lying to me, I will feed you to a very hungry Incubus. Let's go."

* * *

Tidus closed the dungeon door, sealing my the warlock within his prison.

"Thank you for this. Now that we know Catherine moonlights in a magical realm, we just have to track her down." I nodded at the warlock. "He doesn't know much more than that. When Catherine meets with her followers, they always gather from different locations. What he's told us is useful, but it's made him a walking target--I just need somewhere to stow him until I can get him out of town."

"Have you told Chandler?"

"That Catherine could be hiding in the Otherworld with Dracula's body? No. If I had, Chandler would be sucking his Chi for information as we speak."