//Always// Part 3

So distracted was I by the circumstances, I forgot to ask Tidus where we were-and just what place he had among the Revenant. However, both questions were answered when a butler joined us on the ceiling, interrupting our dance to inquire whether Tidus would be joining the guests in the dining hall for drinks.

"The Council have arrived at the castle, your Highness. They've bled through the staff. Shall I gather the reserves?"

Tidus sighed, clearly annoyed. "Please."

The butler disappeared in a puff of black smoke. Vampires, they were full of hat tricks.

"Your Highness?" I tilted  my head, imagining Tidus with a crown and scepter. "I've never danced with royalty before. Is it an insult if I don't curtsy?" I may have poked fun at his title, but deep down I was in awe. A dinner meeting where the Council came to Tidus? Not only was he powerful, he was respected.

And no doubt he was feared.

Tidus flashed his brilliant, white teeth. Away the smile went, gone as quick as it had come. "Charles has kept so much from you. Clearly, you know nothing of your history--our history. If you wish to survive, you will have to learn."

"Actually, that's probably the one thing I don't blame my grandfather for. History's never really been my thing." There was too much of the past inside. "Who are you? Really? And I don't want just your first name."

I didn't jump when he stepped forward, but my heart did. He reached out, cupping my face in his frozen hands. I had never been so intimate with a stranger. Then again, he had yet to feel like one.

"You don't remember, Naomi. It's time you did."

Speechless, I watched his traveling lips–and made no move to stop them. Smooth and heady as peach-flavored wine, his mouth moved against my own, shattering my lowered guard completely. I closed my eyes and we kissed harder; slow and deep, until the fear of him and his magic was gone. Even the coldness in his hands seemed to slide away...

By the time I felt the cold bite of the darkness falling around us, it was too late...

She could still smell the flames from the cabin and taste the smoke in her mouth, but the little girl's lungs were strong

She could still smell the flames from the cabin and taste the smoke in her mouth, but the little girl's lungs were strong. Her favorite nightgown, not so much. The hem was torn and ruined with dirt. Normally she would plead for a new one, but by now she was too frightened. The woods had never been this terrifying. She clutched her father's neck, closing her eyes as the trees flashed by. He told her they were running because of a game, but this one was scary to play, and she didn't like it. Whatever it was behind them, she hoped it never caught up.

Suddenly, her father came to a halt. She heard his grunt of surprise and swiveled her head, eyes pinpointing the large shadow gliding towards them through the darkness. A man flew from the shadows. He alighted, touching down smoothly upon the forest floor. His hair was long and yellow, his eyes extraordinarily bright. They were blue, like diamonds.

"Tidus--thank god." Her father sighed, but his heart still beat as fast as her own. She listened for the stranger's, but his was odd... It didn't beat at all. "She's here, she's come for Paris. I had to leave, I couldn't let her find Naomi too--"

"I understand." Tidus walked closer. "Tell me what I can do."

"I can't leave Paris behind--take Naomi to my father. He'll protect her. Please, watch over her too." He waited for Tidus' nod, then dropped to one knee, hugging his daughter one last time. When he pulled away, she was crying. He could wipe away her tears, but not the reason for them. "Tidus is my friend. He's going to take you home now." He took her face in his hands; she nodded, believing him, still too young and innocent to do otherwise. "I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's okay to be afraid, but remember--you are fierce, little wolf." His fingers leaped from her shoulder to her chin. "I love you, Naomi."

"I love you too, Daddy."

He straightened, backing away from his daughter, dragging as if each step brought him pain. "If I don't make it back, Tidus, you finish this--whatever it takes. Marie can never know about Naomi." 

Tidus gave his word; her father tore away his plaid shirt, beginning the process of shifting. Half-man, half-beast, he disappeared, back into the trees they were just running from.

Suddenly, the panic was blind, all-consuming. Without her father, her rock, she knew she would drown in it. "Daddy! Daddy!"

Tidus stepped in her line of vision, taking a knee in her father's place. "Naomi..." He set his cold hand on her cheek. Instantly, she quieted, hypnotized by his sobering gaze. "Don't be afraid." His gaze was magnetic. It pulled at her, taking away more than just fear-her memory. "Your father went on vacation. He'll come back to you soon."

"Daddy... went on... vacation."  

"Yes, that's right." His eyes narrowed to pretty slits. "Vacation--that's all you need to remember."

Gone were memories of spaghetti-oh's in the cabin.

Gone were memories of fishing in the lake.

Gone were her mother and father, arm-in-arm on the deck, in fear of the horizon.

"Everything's okay, Princess. I'll keep you safe until they return. You have my word."

"And if they leave again? Will you still protect me?" No fear here, only expectation.

He tweaked her nose, then lightly cuffed her chin. "Always."

Tidus gathered the little girl in his arms. He was cold, but little did she know how much she melted her snow angel. Faster than a passing train, or planes in the sky, even faster than her dear, sweet father could run, Tidus launched into the night...

Away they flew.

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this flashback of Tidus meeting Naomi as a little girl! This guy just can't stop saving her life! <3 <3 <3 If you liked what you read, please click that little star up above and VOTE! And don't forget to add SF to your...

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this flashback of Tidus meeting Naomi as a little girl! This guy just can't stop saving her life! <3 <3 <3 If you liked what you read, please click that little star up above and VOTE! And don't forget to add SF to your reading list so you don't miss any updates. Cheers!