//Burn// Part 3

For a long time after, we lay on Chandler's cot, watching the sea throw strange and beautiful patterns on the walls, letting the ship carry us at will. Chandler could name any fish that darted past the portholes, and he could tell how many feet below the surface we were, just by feeling the sea pressure. He was magic, and there were something about his return to honesty that gave me hope for a future as friends.

"It's amazing when you see it. Even the sea has it's own energy. Chi is in everything, everyone. You know how most people recognize each other by faces and sounds? Chi is what I use."

I sat up on my elbow, hand tucked behind my ear as I smiled at Chandler. "That's beautiful."

"And scary as hell sometimes." Hands behind his head, Chandler grinned, then returned his gaze to the ceiling. "Some people have too much Chi, some have too little, some have none at all--those are the ones you wanna stay away from."

"Noted." I sat up, squinting hard at Chandler.

He laughed. "What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to see your Chi. I need to know if I should stay away from you--hold still."

Chandler cracked another grin, brushing brown waves from his eyes. "It doesn't work that way. Seeing Chi takes practice--but the fact that you can see my magic is a good first step. My cloaking spells are pretty powerful. So are you. I've never healed that fast before, not from an injury like mine."

"Well, the next time you're knocking on death's door, knock on mine. That's what friends are for, right?"

"I sure hope so." Chandler smirked, my intentions as crystal clear as the boundaries I was defining. I would save his life a million times over, but I would never trade Chandler for Tidus. If the knight was disappointed, he hid it it well. 

"I should probably thank you, y'know, for giving me another chance, and saving my life. There might be a few other things on that list, but out of respect for our friendship, I'll keep those to myself." 

"Good idea." I sat up with a grin, running my fingers through curls gone wild. I let the sheets drop, swinging my legs over the cot's side, summoning my shirt from the clothes piled on the sole, the edges outlined in shimmering pink static. "Not to pry, even though I totally am, but are you gonna explain how you have a ship named Midnight that can sail underwater without drowning us?"

Chandler was already on his feet, zipping up his jeans. "Magic. Not so leaky after all, is he?"

"He? I thought ships were supposed to be girls."

"Not this one. Back home, my real ride is waiting for me. Hercules has Pegasus, I have Midnight."

"Who else is waiting for you?" But Chandler ignored my question.

"I pledged my life to the Queen. When I was sworn in, I gave up everything--except my name, anyway."

"Your name?" I summoned my Doc Martins right into my lap. "What do you mean?"

"Fae tradition--no one knows my real name, not even my parents. It's born when we are, at the tip of our tongues; if we're lucky that's where it stays." Chandler threw on his shirt, taking a heavy seat on the cot to wrestle with his Toms. 

"Tidus never told me that." I rose, frowning as I folded my arms one over the other. 

Chandler's smile was wide and obnoxious. "A Vampire with secrets? How original of him."

I scowled. "What would happen if I knew your real names?"

"You'd have total control over us. We're talking Gippetto-Pinocchio 24/7." Chandler got to his feet. "Why?"