//Alpha// Part 3

That night, I sat at the vanity in my bedroom, combing out my curls in slow diligence as I pondered all the new, unexpected happenings in Harbor Village. It all combined to one timeless conclusion-our small, seaside town was beautiful... with layers upon layers of ugliness beneath-

Us.

The Supernaturals.

We were our own chaos-a danger my father, as Elder, had sought to put order to before he died. It was for his brave, innovative ideas-such as outlawing the hunting of rogue Wolves in the States, and bringing an end to the enslavement of human poachers-that he was killed. To my dying breath, I would defy anyone who denied Jack Noble as a hero-the very same word Adelle's eleven-year-old brother had spoken after I cut down every Vampire in my path to find him.

I couldn't help but puzzle over this hero business.  It was dangerous. Why had my father stuck with it?

<<For the rush.>>

I stared at the golden eyes in the mirror. Was she right?

<<I'm always right.>>

"I think I preferred when you were ignoring me. Protest as much as you want, by the way, I'm not getting back with Ethan." I set down the comb just as a haunting cry pierced the night, the howl of a wolf in mourning.

Him.

"I'm not done with you." I jabbed my finger at the mirror. "We'll argue about this later." 

I sighed, wracked by the ache of longing, and resenting him for putting my Wolf through this tonight. Still, I arranged my hair in the mirror, running my fingers through the locks in last-minute desperation. No time to trade my tank-top and pajama shorts for something low-cut and mysterious. But that didn't matter, he would take me as I was. All I had to do was goad him.

On my way out, I cut the lights, until the vanilla candles on the dresser shot arrows of yellow across the rose-painted walls. I swept past the canopied, queen-size bed, to the white-curtained French doors beyond. On the balcony, I inhaled the cold starry night, and silently called to the moon. She was in hiding, a mere crescent, half-obscured by a grey slice of cloud cover. It would be weeks before her full return, when my Wolf and I reached the pinnacle of our strength.

Three stories below, a dark figure made its way across the manicured lawn. He disappeared beneath the alcove, scaling the balcony's ledge and dropping to the floor with athletic grace. He straightened, the outline of his fierce stature romanticized by moonlight.

The Alpha.

Don't fall for it! Don't fall for him! "What are you doing here, Ethan?"

He stuck his hands in the pockets of his jeans, rocking on the heels of his boots. "C'mon, Mimi. You know why I'm here."  When I didn't answer, Ethan strode forward, taking my arm in hands that were rough, but warm as an oven. I waited for him to kiss me; all he did was inspect.

"Of course annoying me would be part of your job description--maybe you're more like Luke than everyone thinks." He ignored me, turning my arm back and forth in his hands. "Ethan, seriously, I'm fine."

"One of those parasites bit you. I knew you wouldn't tell anyone, so I came here to make sure you're still alive--you're welcome."

"Well, thanks for nothing." I wrenched my arm from his. "It had me for-like two seconds, I healed the instant it let go." Ethan's chocolate-colored eyes narrowed; my angry cause picked up steam.  "But you just had to check up on your investment, right? Make sure I don't kick the bucket before you cash in on that bright and shining future..." Everyone knew Ethan was gunning for Eldership, just as I knew he would use me to achieve it.

"Why so defensive?" Ethan smirked like he knew the answer. "I'm not your boyfriend, its my job to give a shit--if you die on my watch, I'm screwed. Besides, I don't need to ride those pretty coattails anymore..." He grabbed the sides of my t-shirt, jerking me forward. I strained, but not hard enough. Again, my body betrayed me, craving more of his firmness pressed against me. "I got what I need--I'm the Alpha now. And one day, when I'm Elder, that'll be in spite of you too, Little Wolf." 

I clenched my teeth, hating how he used my father's pet name against me.

Ever since we were kids, the Alpha had hovered over my shoulder, tailing me like a dogged shadow. Since my father's death, the distance between Ethan and I had grown, but that space only stretched so wide.

"Nice speech. Did you practice with all your girlfriends? Bet you had to take your shirt off to keep them awake." Ethan played with so many hearts, my best friend's included. Toying with his was more than worth it.

"O-o-oh. Jealous much?" One corner of his lips twisted downwards, crafting a beautiful sneer.

"No. It just bothers me that you can't be a grownup and decide what you want."

"I've always known what I want. You just pretend not to see it."

No one could get my blood running like Ethan-and likewise. I leaned close, until his breath was on my lips in the most delicious way. "All I see, is a guy willing to do and say anything to get to the top. You may be the Garou's second-in-command, but you don't have what Lucas had--respect. Our people would choose me over you any day." How did I cherish the anger. It blossomed in his features like a scarlet flower. "I think we know who the real Alpha is. Hint..." I lowered my voice to a cocky whisper. "It's not you."

Ethan's Wolf roared in my face, his dark eyes swallowed by flaming suns. His nostrils flared, his shoulders flexed, his teeth extended. Any less of a gentleman and he would have hit me for certain. I almost wished he would, if only to spice things up. This same old hate was growing stale.

"I don't need your respect, I'll teach it to you." The gold died away, but the resentment stayed put. "Hint--if Lucas hadn't stepped down, I would have challenged him--and won--because I deserve this. But if you think you can take me, here's your chance. Prove it." Ethan walked backwards through the French double doors, his eyes shifting back to gold as everything but them was swallowed by the dark.

If Ethan didn't have me tonight, his Wolf would.

SWERRRRVE. Alpha Knight just dropped the mic on Naomi!!! Do you guys think she deserved it? ; )

P.S. Is Banks not bloody BRILLIANT??? I thought her song was perfect for this chapter ; )

If you liked this song (and the chapter) then pretty please vote! And don't forget to add this story to your library so you don't miss any updates! Thanks guys! More SF ahead <3 <3 <3 <3