The First 4 Months

"Stop", I squeal. "Chase!" I squealed again as Chase continues to tickle me some more. "I... Can't... Breathe..", I said in between giggles.

"Okay". Chase stops tickling her stomach and rubs her stomach as they cuddle together on my bed. Chase's phone starts to ring. It's his mother calling him. I started to lower my voice done after laughing a little bit. "Hello", he answers the phone.

"Chase, what are you doing today?", his mother wonders.

"Nothing. I'm with my girlfriend right now. What's sup?"

"Bring her with you. We're having a family dinner tonight at our house. We would all like to meet her."

"Okay. Hopefully she wouldn't mind coming along."

"Good. Dinner is at 6. Don't be late."

"Alright."

"Love you."

"Love you, too, mom. Bye", and Chase hangs up the conversation.

"Was that your mom?", I asked.

"Yeah. She's inviting you to come over and eat with my family." He chuckles.

"Wait, what?!? Are you serious? No. No,no no. I can't do that!"

"Why not?"

"Because, I'm- I'm shy, okay? Really shy. I know it's stupid at twenty-one years old but I just don't want anything to be awkward. Especially me being awkward." My eyes dropped to the floor avoiding myself to tear up. Yeah, I'm sensitive, too.
     "Look at me", his eyes try to meet up with mine.
     Once his eyes met with mine, the way we exchanged eye contact with one another, it was like the world stopped spinning and like we are the only two people in the world.
     "If things are awkward for you or if anybody in my family maybe, especially my dad, give me a sign and we will leave, okay?"
     "Okay", my voice goes timid.
     "Everything will be alright, okay?"
     "Okay."
     "It's 4 o'clock now. We should probably get ready."
     "I agree."

     When it's close to 6 o'clock, Chase held my hand before he entered himself in the house with me behind him. "Hello," he calls out.
     "In the kitchen," a little boy yells out.
     Chase and I entered the kitchen area where his family are hanging out. Now my thoughts are roaming around in my head. Welcome to the life where overthinking takes over your life. I hope my outfit isn't too much. A thought I had since I walked in the house. I mean, it's only a off the shoulder black cocktail dress that's only knee length long with my silver small heel shoes, an anklet on my left side, a few bangles, and a small silver necklace to go along with it. I think that's how you dress to impress as they say. Or am I overdressed? Here we go again.
     "Hi", his mom greets me first. "I'm Chase's mom but you can call me Julie if you like!" Her smile curves all the way.
     "Hi, I'm Ashely. I guess Chase told you I'm his girlfriend", I introduced myself as I lifted my hand up to shake with hers.
     "It's very nice to meet you," as she ignores my hand held up in the air and pulls me in for a hug. I awkwardly hugged her back.
     "Ashley, this is my little brother, Grayson. Grayson, this is Ashley." Chase introduces his family to me.
     I knelt down to his level and raised my hand up for a high five. Grayson smiled back and gave me a good high five. "Nice to meet you, buddy. Is it okay if I call you that?"
     He face turns a little pink. "Yeah." Grayson motioned Chase to come closer to him and I rose back up, fixing my dress. "She's pretty", Grayson whispers. "I know", Chase whispers back.
     "My husband will be here any minute," Julie tells me. "He just went to pick up our granddaughter."
     "Granddaughter?"
     "Chase didn't tell you?" His mother curious.
     "No, he didn't. I had no idea, honestly."
     "Yeah, I didn't quite tell her that part yet", he intruders in on the short conversation.
     "Hey y'all," an older man voice comes echoing the room.
     "Hi, darling", the man kisses his mother before releasing the little girl's hand and runs over to hug Chase's leg. She's so small and cute. If that man kissed his mother, I'm guessing that's the father.
     "Just in time. Dinner is ready." His mother begins to set up the table. Grayson and the little girl sat in their seats, excited to eat. "Savannah", her mother yells.
     "Are you okay?" Chase whispers into my ear.
     I nodded yes.
     Chase clears his throat. "Dad, this is Ashley." I stood and raised my hand to shake before sitting in the chair next to Chase.
     "Hi. I'm Ashley. Thank you for inviting me to dinner."
     "His father took my hand and shook it so gently. "Todd", he simply says.
     I sat down and Chase rubs my leg in comfort, reassuring everything will be okay.
     The tall, beautiful, short blonde hair comes walking down the stairs, joining the rest of the family to eat dinner.
      "Ashely, this is my sister, Savannah. Savannah, this is my girlfriend, Ashley".
     "It is so nice to finally meet you!" She happily implies. "Chase always talks about you and I'm glad he brought you to have a nice meal with you."
     "Thank you, Savannah. And may I say, you're really beautiful. Like you look like a model." I really do think that.
     "Well, thank you, Ashley. Chase did not tell us that you are beautiful, yourself." I smiled at her.
     "So, Chase," Todd begins to speak now. "How many times have you tried to sleep with her?"
     The room goes quiet. "Todd!" Julie exclaims.
     "What?" Todd questions. "You know boys at his age are just seeking for some fun."
     "Will you have some trust in our kids? They are not that bad. I think Chase wouldn't be using her, now would you, Chase?" His mother furrows her eyebrows.
     "No, ma'am", Chase says.
     "Have you been with anyone before Chase?" Todd asks me.
     "Yes. I've been in other relationships before Chase." I told the straight truth. Although, they weren't good people either.
     "Have you done anything with them?" I sat quiet for a few seconds before Chase stepped in and said something.
     "Dad!" Chase says in frustration.
     "I think I should go now. Thank you Chase's parents for inviting me to dinner and thank you for the delicious meal, Chase's mom." I got up from my chair and walked outside.
     "Ashely, you hardly ate. Would you like to bring it with you?" Julie shows her concern in her little appetite.
     "No, thank you but thank you for asking." I proceeded to walk out the door and waited by his car.
     "Daddy! What was that about?" Savannah speaks up. "She seems like a nice, young lady and I doubt she wants to talk about her past."
     "But that's your older brother sitting right there and he could be up to shady stuff."
     "Dad", Chase's voice goes dim. "That was the girl I was asking you and momma about when I wanted to show her how sorry I was for what happened and when she wasn't feeling good. I was trying to make a good impression on her. Now I doubt she wants to see me again after this. I really like her", Chase ends his statement. He got up from his seat and hugged his mom and thanked her for the free food. He said his goodbyes to his siblings and to his niece. He walked out the door with a loud thud that sounded like a slam.
     "I really can't believe you, Todd." Julie sounds annoyed at her husband.
     "Oh, God. I screwed up." Todd admits.
     "Yes you did." Julie agrees with her husband.
     "You took things way too far and we only wanted to get to know her, daddy." Savannah really sounded eager to meet her.
      "You know, he's been going out for a few months. So it was official, Todd, and now you probably ruin that for our son." I heard all of this before I went out the door, waiting for Chase outside.

     Meanwhile, outside of Chase's parents house.

     I'm freezing. It's so cold outside and the winds are brutal this evening. My arms are crossed with one another with each hand rubbing my arms up and down to bring warmth to myself. Chase sips up his jacket and put his hoodie on, coming closer to me. When he got closer to me, he hugs me tightly and that warmed up my body even more. He's so warm and his hugs are to die for just like his smile and personality.

     "You okay? I'm sorry my dad was going hard on you."

     "It's o-o-o-o-kay", my teeth started to chatter.

     "Here", he says as I'm still rubbing my arms as I was doing before and he gave me his jacket. I heard a door shut as if someone was either coming in or out but it could've been the neighbor's door. I held his jacket and brought it closer to my body, hugging it so I can stay toasty in his jacket. And it smells nice, too.

     "We don't have to go over to their house anymore for dinner if you want. Like with my family." Chase settles in on this decision he's thinking about.

     "I don't mind your family. I adore your little brother and your sister and I'm guessing the little girl is your niece that you didn't introduce me to. It was your dad that made it awkward for me. No offense."

     "It's okay. Maybe we will try talking to him some other time. You know, once he's in a better place."

     "Yeah. So, um, it's really official. Like this is an official relationship?"

     "It's been 4 months now so I wouldn't call that dating now. Or do we?"

     "I guess that's up to us."

     "I guess so."

     "An exclusive relationship then?" I hope he agrees with me.

     "For real this time", and he comes closer to me, crashing his soft lips with mine.

     After he released the kiss, I sneeze.

     "Bless you."

     "Thank you." I saw a shadow from behind Chase but I didn't know who it was until I moved Chase away for a second. His dad was standing by the door the entire time. He turned around to only see his father there.

     Chase opens the door to his car and ordered me to go sit in his car. He shut the door after I strapped myself in and he turned his back on me through the window. His father walks closer to him.

     "May I speak with Ashley?", his father calmly asks.

      "I don't know. I'll ask her." He opens the door and our voices are low. He shuts the door again and turned back to his father.

     "Ashley is not comfortable talking to you just yet. Her words." Chase says.

     "Look, Chase, I'm sorry. I just wanted to protect you. I know I've been hard on you when I see you flirting with girls and everything. I just don't want to see your feelings get hurt."

     "I appreciate that however, I deeply care about her. And it was even embarrassing for you to say those things in front of my girlfriend."

     "I know I wasn't thinking."

     "I forgive you. But give Ashley a couple of days to get comfortable with the family."

     "Alright, deal. I love you, son."

     "Love you, too." Chase comes around the car and climbs in the driver's seat. He leans closer to me and kisses my cheek.

     "So, do you want to stay the night over at my condo tonight?"