The First Date

I finally came home from work, took a nice long shower, and I decided to lay in bed relaxing. I forgot that I left Chase's note on my nightstand next to my bed. I mean, I just came home from work so should I even text him? Or call him to make sure it's not a scam? Why would this incredibly cute kid scam you, Ashley? I think I'm just overreacting to this. I'll do it and get it over with. I pulled out my phone and began to punch the numbers on the number pad. After carefully looking at the number to make sure I typed it in correctly, I put the phone next to my ear. Oh my gosh, I'm actually doing it.

One ring.

Two rings.

"Hello", a boy voice spoke. It sounds like his voice.

"Is this Chase's number?" Oh boy.

"Yes."

"Hi. It's Ashley. From the pizza place."

"Hey, Ashley. I'm glad you gave me a call."

"I would've sent a text but didn't want to think this phone number was a fake."

Chase gasps. "Ashley, I was only trying to be your friend since you're new in town and you already think I'm a fake."

"No, no, no, no it wasn't meant to sound like that. I just didn't want to---",

Chase laughs interrupting her, "It's okay. I was joking with you."

I laughed a bit, too, "Oh, okay. Ha ha sorry".

"No worries, so how was work?"

Wow, he really wants to know how my day was? I never had a guy ask me that before. "It was, eh, I guess, okay. Nothing special. It's just work."

"I don't like working either so I get how you feel."

"Really? Where do you work?"

"I work at the juice bar not far from your job. But I only go there if I really have to. My dad owns it."

"Wow, you must be like rich or something."

"Kind of. But I don't want to think I'm more special than anyone else."

"Smart. I like that."

I felt like the conversation was going so well, it started to die down when it got a little bit awkward. Then, I heard him say something.

"I know we met and I'm just starting to get to know you but would you be willing to chill with me?"

I should be the little fifteen year old girl inside of me and screamed, "YES!" right away but I played it casually. "Uh, yeah, sure. It's whatever."

"It's okay if you don't want to. I know it was random of me and I really want to get to know you better.."

I feel bad now because his voice got all timid and he sounds so cute like that. It just seems it's a little too fast but maybe it's happening for a reason.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt your feelings and I'm not that type of girl so yes, I'll hang out with you."

A smile and a higher pitch tone came cracking on his end. "Great! What time should I pick you up?"

"I'm off tomorrow so whenever you want."

"No. I'm asking you what time would you like me to come pick you up?"

"Noon?"

"Okay, sounds good. Just text me your address since now you know this number is not phony."