Chapter 5 - Concentrate

EMILY'S POV:

I slammed the door as soon as I entered the house.

"Hey." Demi said opening the door that I has just slammed in her face.

"What?"

"Come back here and try that again."

I sighed and let out a big "ugh".

I went back; opened the door; and properly closed it.

"Thank you." Demi said and motioned for me to come sit by her on the couch.

"What do you want now?"

"Emily, enough with the attitude. We need to talk about what happened at school today."

"I don't want to talk about it." I said in frustration.

"I know, but we need to. You need to get it off your chest."

"I don't need to get anything off my chest!" I yelled and walked away.

DEMI'S POV:

"I don't need to get anything off my chest!" Emily yelled whilst walking away.

"Emily." I said, trying to keep my calm.

"What?" She said, looking back at me with tears filled in her eyes.

I patted the couch and said "come here, please".

She walked over, calmer this time, and sat beside me on the couch.

"Sorry." She said while wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Emily, honey, you don't ever have to apologize to me for being upset. You have the right to feel any emotion that you need to, though please cool it with the attitude. I'm only trying to help you." I said.

One tear finally dropped from her eye and ran down her cheek.

"What happened at school today?"

"I told you, just bullying stuff."

"I know, but you were hurting yourself. It is obviously something big. Sierra, honey. I guarantee you will feel so much better of you talk to someone about this."

She sighed, then said "some girls from school knew I was in the bathroom and they started pounding on the stalls and saying mean things. I thought they were going to hurt me."

"Oh, honey. I'm so sorry. You don't deserve for that to happen. I am so so glad you called me, though next time, try to call me before you hurt yourself, alright." I lifted her chin up, so she was looking me directly in the eyes.

She looked back down and said "I'm not trying to fall. I can't even concentrate."

"Oh honey. I know and I know it is hard. I remember when people were trying to get me to stop self-harming. I didn't want to for a long while. It was my coping mechanism and finding a different coping mechanism can be hard, but just know that I am going to here with you, every step of the way. With a little bit of help, I'm sure you can recover."

"I don't want to recover though."

"I know and just like me, you probably won't want to for a while, but eventually you will. With you being homeschooled, that will eliminate some of the temptations. Now let's go up to your room and we'll get all of your blades." I said.

She gave me a look that made me think she wanted to punch me, but she didn't do anything.

I grabbed her hand and led her upstairs.

I started rummaging through all of her boxes and closet, knowing she wasn't going to get them for me.

I found three in shoeboxes hidden under her bed; one in her closet; and four in her backpack.

I motioned for her to come her and I started patting her down.

I could feel the pointed object in her bra and told her to take it out. She handed me her exacto knife and I continued patting her down.

"Take off your boots", I told her.

"Ugh." She said and took them off.

There was blade hidden in each of her shoes.

"This really freakin' sucks." She said whilst crossing her arms.

"I know." I gave her a reassuring hug and said "we're going to get through this together."

"Whatever." She said and sat on her bed.

"Everything okay?" I asked her as I noticed she was holding her stomach.

"Y-yeah. Everything's fine. My stomach just hurts really bad."

"Would you like an Advil? That's what I usually take when I'm having cramps."

EMILY'S POV:

"C-cramps?" I asked.

"Yeah, like period cramps."

"Oh, that's not what it is. I haven't even gotten my period yet." I said defending myself.

"Well you're probably about to." She chuckled.

"It's not funny!" I said while running into the bathroom.

"I'm not on my period." I mumbled to myself as I could feel the blood trickling out. Crap. I thought to myself.

I pulled down my pants and sure enough, there was blood there.

"Demi", I said while opening the door and peeking out.

"Let me guess, you need a pad?" She asked me already knowing the answer.

I nodded my head and she said "be right back", while leaving my room.

Less than 60 seconds later, she opened the bathroom door and started explaining how to put a pad in your underwear.

"What?" I asked, giving her a skeptical look.

She explained it to me again, showing me the wings and telling me to wrap those around so I don't lose it out. Wow, that would be embarrassing.

"This sucks." I told her.

"I know. It's never fun." She replied and left the bathroom.

I went to close it and she put her foot in the way "don't close it. I'm not going to look, but this door it to stay open at all times", she told me.

Wow, this recovery stuff is going to suck. Maybe if I just pretend to get better, she'll get off my back about this.

I just nodded my head.

She left the bathroom and I put the stupid pad in.

"All better?" She asked as I went to sit by her on my bed.

"Yeah." I said quietly and rested my head on her shoulder.

"Would you like an advil?" She asked.

I nodded my head.

She went to her room (across from mine) and grabbed one out of her purse.

She came back, gave the Advil to me and a bottle of water.

"Thank you." I said whilst downing the water.

"No problem. Now go to sleep. It's getting kinda late."

She said and tucked me into bed, like a little kid, but it made me feel loved. I like that feeling.

"Night."

"Night, baby girl."

She turned off my lights and walked out of the room, leaving the door open.

Thanks for reading!

Hope you guys are enjoying the book so far!

Let me know your thoughts!

Love y'all! 💖