Chapter 23: Support

~Jack~
It was terrifying to see Mark like this. Eventually things had gotten quiet, and we all were silent, unsure of what to say. Felix had collected himself and left sometime after we got Mark into the cell. He was shaken up, but he's tough. He'd be alright. Dan and Phil left me with their number, and then they left as well. It was just Amy and I in silence, with the exception of Mark's howling. After a while Amy broke the silence.

"Come here Jack, I want to explain something to you." Amy said as she walked to stand in front of Mark's cell. I stood and joined her warily. She lightly grabbed my chin and forced me to look into the cell at Mark in his wolf form. "This is Mark. He's different from the Mark you know. You have to get to know both sides of him because he's not just who you already know. He's that and more. The second you forget that, is the very second that you stop being good enough for him. Are we clear?"

"Amy, you have my word that I shall never forget that. I care very deeply for Mark, more than anyone I've ever met in all of my years." Mark shook his body and started cleaning his paw. I smiled softly. Mark in wolf form was... intimidating, to be honest. His fur was dark, nearly black like his hair was when he was in human form. Stood on his back legs he'd no doubt be close to Dan's height.

"I, personally, think you and Mark are cute together! Or, whatever is going on between the two of you!" A small but chipper voice called out, and I turned to see a small boy with dirty blonde hair cut just above his brow. He looked at me with pale green eyes and a wide grin. 

"Uh, hello? Sorry, I don't know who you are." I said, rubbing my neck nervously. This kid just said Mark and I were cute together... so casually. Who was this kid? Amy started laughing, and patted the kid's shoulder.

"I'm Luke! Pleased to meet you, Jack! I have heard a lot about you and Mark. You two are kinda the main discussion due to everyone's curiousity." Luke said, walking closer to the cell and giving an enthusiastic wave to Mark who yipped back in return.

"Well, what do you think?" I asked, sitting on the heel of my feet so that I was close to eye level with Luke. Luke cocked his head slightly to the side in a curious manner.

"I think Mark has found his soulmate." Luke said seriously. Before I could speak, he cut me off. "And, Jack... I think you'll do well as his mate. I'm in favor of you two. My dad says that you two wouldn't be able to be together because of what he calls 'technicalities.' I think that's stupid. What if I wanna marry a boy who's a vampire? Could I really not do that?"

"Luke, why are you asking this? I've never heard you speak this way..." Amy finally spoke up. Luke sighed and smiled nervously.

"Well, don't tell my dad, but there's this vampire boy at my school. He's from Australia, and he talks funny, but good funny. The kinda funny that makes me wanna know him more. He's really shy though, but I know he likes math and science. He likes making things explode. I always compare him to a star. Y'know, cause stars are beautiful, and I'm told that after a while they explode." Luke talked very passionately about this boy, and my heart clenched as he spoke. I felt more determined to make same-sex relationships acceptable and normal. Luke shouldn't be worried about liking someone who's a boy.

"He must have a lot to say. You should talk to him. I think he'd like you. And, I'm working on things, bud. You could marry him if you wanted. Not yet, of course! You're very young, after all." I said, and Mark yipped impatiently.

"I'm going to take Luke back up. We'll give you two some privacy. Also, don't be afraid to go into the cell. He won't turn back for a while." Amy explained. 

"Bye, Jack! Thank you..." Luke waved and left with Amy. 

I turned to Mark's cell, and sat down cross-legged in front of it. What in the world was I supposed to do? Play fetch with him? What do werewolves even do when they're in wolf form? Mark yipped again, sitting with a huff in front of me.