Chapter 14: Extinguished Fires

•Mark•
We swam for a while, but eventually got hungry. We climbed onto the stone floor, dried off with a towel, then changed. Amy and Signe changed in one of the cells, and I decided to have some fun.

Jack and Tyler seemed deep in discussion, leaving them open. I slowly crept to them, planning to pretend to shove them into the water again. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Just as I got behind them Jack jumped up and side stepped. I wobbled over the water, and Tyler pulled me back in with a chuckle.

"Aww, man!" I whined, pouting. Amy and Signe came out, and Signe poked Jack. She pulled him closer so she could whisper to him. Jack laughed st whatever she said, and I couldn't help but be a tad jealous. My wolf huffed, and yipped impatiently.

"Hey, Mark? How exactly do we get out anyway?" Jack asked, raising his eyebrow. Whew, maybe it's getting hot in here, or maybe it's just Jack because holy shit was he gorgeous. I could almost feel Amy glaring at me. I was so staring.

"Ahem, um, well! I'm glad you asked! This is the best part about coming down here. You climb back up. See those ropes up there?" I pointed to the ceiling of the cavern. "Those are for when you get to the-"

"But," Amy interrupted, "we will not be climbing today. We'll go the long way. Through that exit there are some chiseled stairs. It takes forever to climb, but there's less risk of injury."

"Makes sense. Mark's way... not so much." Jack grinned at my hurt expression.

"Hey! Rude, my way is more fun." I said, grabbing our bags. Amy grins and sticks her tongue out at me. "Tyler, do you have any childhood stories you wanna tell us about that were frightening?"

"Well, since we're sharing stories I guess I could tell you guys about the time I lost my shoe. It was raining. I was walking home. My shoe got stuck in mud. Goodbye shoe. The end." Tyler was completely stone-faced.

We all started laughing, and I sat on the steps. I hated climbing these stairs. Nothing good ever happens when I am on these steps. We finally stopped laughing, and started walking again. We chat aimlessly as we walked, exchanging stories. It isn't until we reach the top that I feel something's wrong. I realize Jack has stopped, and seems to be listening intently. Even Tyler and Signe have stopped and are doing the same.

"What is it?" I asked quietly, Amy and I sharing a concerned look. Jack's expression goes from confused to scared, and he turns to me quickly.

"Run." He said, and immediately we all start running. Even though Jack, Signe, and Tyler are faster Amy and I manage to keep pace with them, bounding up the steps three at time. I finally hear someone.

It sounds like Bob and Wade. They're screaming. It seems like several people are screaming words that I can't make out yet. Finally through their garbled words I hear my name yelled.

"MARK!" I think that's Wade? Why are Bob and Wade here though? They weren't supposed to be here until Thanksgiving...

My heart is racing, pounding in my ears as we leap across the last steps and suddenly I stop, frozen with my jaw dropped. The forest... our houses... red, orange, and yellow burn bright against the darkening sky. I'm shaking, but it's not from the biting cold.

"Mark! Oh goodness, Mark! Everything's on fire! We don't know where it started or how but we need you! We tried to call the firefighters but they said they won't come! What do we do?" Bob looked the most frantic I had seen him.

"Bob." He and Wade stopped pacing to turn to me, giving me their full attention. "Get Pamela, Louise, Princess Zoe and Prince Joe, and Tyler. The other Tyler, Tyler Oakley. We need their help. This fire is out of control, and without the firefighters we've got no means of putting this fire out and saving what we can."