Chapter 22: Jäkel Rom

•Mark•
I gasped when a sharp pain shot through my head from my gut. I clenched the table in an attempt to ground myself, but it didn't seem to help. I groaned, and my head fell onto the table, my shoulders tense and bunched up. My ears rang like a gun went off right beside my head. I gripped my ears and whimpered, scratching like a mad dog.

"Mark? Are you alri-"

"Dan... I think something wrong with Jack. I'll get Mark, come on. We need to find Jack." Phil interrupted Dan and lifted me up. I pushed him off and ran outside. Dan and Phil joined me, and we turned into an alley beside the cafe.

Standing with her back to us was a woman with blue hair wearing all blue. It was silly, but I wanted to laugh because wow, she must really like the color blue. Jack and Felix stood behind her, and Felix was extremely pale and frozen in place. The woman looked so familiar in so many aspects... The way she did her hair with those braids, the excessive amount of blue, even the way she held herself as if she were a goddess who knew all of your problems and the solutions to them.

"Jäkel Rom." I whispered, but in the silence it carried and echoed against the buildings walls around us. She turned to me, and soft hazel eyes met mine. I was vaguely aware of Dan stumbling back a few steps, but I paid no attention to that trivial detail as I stepped forward.

"Mark," Jäkel said softly, "I'm so glad I found you. How's your head, dear?"

When she clenched her fist a pang of pain shot through my head, strong enough to make me stumble. I clawed at my head again, hearing my wolf whimper in pain. My bones started cracking, popping and relocating in different places.

"Jäkel, what are you doing to him?!" Phil exclaimed, resting his hand on ny back. I snarled, snapping and baring mt teeth at him. He jumped back, and Dan pulled him further away from me.

"He's turning. She's forcing him to turn." Felix whispered in horror, finally shaking himself free of his frozen spell.

"Jäkel, what is it you want from me? Why are you doing this to us, to Mark?" Jack asked calmly. Somehow, amidst all of this strangeness he seemed perfectly at ease as if he was in his element. Jäkel tutted with a soft smile.

"Not so fast, käraste bror. You will know in due time, but now is not that time. Though I'll leave you with this little problem to solve. Come visit me soon, Danny boy knows where to find me... Right where he left me." With those final, dramatic words Jäkel left in a green smoke cloud, disappearing as if she were never here.

Meanwhile I keeled over, hyper aware of too much to fully process the pain I was in. Dan tried to keep Jack away from me, but Jack persisted and pushed him away, leaning down to me. My body ached, as if I'd run a marathon completely unprepared. Everything was so bright and loud, yet I felt numb.

"Breathe, Mark. I called Amy. She'll be here in no time. It's a tad cliche, but focus on my voice..." Jack's hand hovered over mine, and I pulled him close, shaking and panting as more bones cracked. This time I was brought to my knees. Sweat beaded my brow, and Jack held me close and kissed my forehead.

"Jack! Over here!" Amy's voice rang out, and suddenly too many people were touching me, pulling me to the truck. I snapped my jaws, making Phil shriek and jump back. I kicked Dan, but he held onto my legs tightly as Phil joined again. "Just a bit more, Mark. I know it feels like fire to your skin but hold out a bit longer."

Finally they threw me into the back of the van, and Amy chained my arms and neck. I snarled at her, kicking and growling. She cursed before latching a chain around my torso. Then the van was moving, and I kicked and whimpered, pulling at the chains. I just wanted to ball myself up when my neck popped painfully, causing me to yell out.

What has she done to me? What has Jäkel done? Why did she seem so familiar? I tried to claw at the my head, but instead grazed the chains. Chains... My wolf grinned at the realization, and I started clawing at my neck more. I wore down the metal bit by bit until a bone in my neck snapped out, popping the neck cuff open. I bit down on the handcuffs, wincing as my teeth grew and scrapped the metal. When I wore that handcuff down I pulled my arm from the wall of the van and slashed the chain attached to my other handcuff.

My wolf and I smirked, clawing at the torso cuff until it, too, came off. I stood on all fours just as the van stopped suddenly, causing me to fall. The van door opened, and Amy cursed as I jumped out. Amy yanked my foot, and I fell as my back cracked again.

"Throw him in! Just roll him over the edge right there!" Amy yelled after I kicked her, and when Jack and Phil hesitated to roll me into the water of the Pit I lunged for Jack's legs. With and oof he went down. Abruptly, I was kicked into the Pit, and I howled as I fell.

I hit the water hard, swimming back up to catch a breath. I shivered, relaxing as my ears popped in and out of place. The pain lingered slightly, but I could finally think clearer. Then Amy, Jack, Dan, Phil, and Felix dived in. I fixed my eyes on Jack. My love, my soulmate. He could help free me of this pain.

I swam to him, snarling when Amy tried to push him out of my way. She told the others something that I couldn't make out, and I was unexpectedly dragged away from Jack. I howled and snarled, baring my teeth to everyone I saw. I whimpered and kicked as I was put back on land, and my leg snapped, making me howl.

Eventually I was put in my cell, where I curled into the fetal position, snapping at anyone who came near, wishing Jack was holding me in his arms.

Word count: 1089 words