Chapter 20: Mending Rifts

•Mark•
I groaned, spitting out blood. My chest hurt, and breathing was slightly painful. I sat up, standing again to face the demon King. I was stubborn and determined, and I knew he wanted me to turn. Just because he wants me to, then I purposefully won't.

"King Daniel, stop this. You're my chew toy right now, you're in my territory with my pack. If we could just talk civilly about this-" The demon King Daniel Howell had no mercy, he was beyond reason at this point. As he kicked me down again I coughed and my vision went black for a second.

"Do you get what your little rumors have done?! Eight attempted assassinations. No demon wants to upset you, they've forgetten how to fear me. I'm called names, I'm called a faggot, hell I've been kicked down just as I'm doing to you now! Here's two fun facts! One, the Old King adopted me, he told me he saw the potential for greatness. Two, I can't even hold hands with my soulmate because of King Sean's bullshit laws against gay marriage for vamps." King Daniel fixed his hair up, straightening his tux.

My head was pounding but I stood again. I couldn't call my pack. I needed them to be safe, and King Daniel was furious. The whites of his eyes were filled in with black like most demons, making his brown eyes nearly indistinguishable from the black. Through the black ran strips of red, showing the depth of his fury.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to help, but if we could talk civilly-" King Daniel's fist struck my jaw, knocking me back a few steps. I held my ground, refusing to raise my fists or turn. He punched blow after blow, one landing on my ear and I could only hear ringing for several moments. Another one, this time I fell, my vision going black.

Suddenly there was yelling, and a gentle hand on my shoulder. When my vision and hearing came back I saw a man who was slightly shorter than King Daniel. The man consoled him, holding his hands and giving them light kisses. I turned and saw Jack leaning over me. He looked like a King with the sun behind his head, giving him an ethereal glow.

"Mark, can you hear me?" Jack asked, brushing my hair out of my face. I nodded, slowly standing up. Jack helped me to my feet, and I nodded for the man and King Daniel to follow me into my house. Inside I pulled out a first aid kit and sat beside King Daniel, taking up one of his hands and cleaning the blood off.

"Who are you?" I asked the mysterious man, who had somehow managed to get King Daniel to calm down from his fury.

"Lord Philip Lester." The man introduced himself as.

"Lord Philip is King Daniel's soulmate, Mark. Lord Philip, I'd like for you to meet my soulmate, Alpha Mark Fischbach whom I'm sure you've heard of." Jack said. I grinned when he introduced me as his soulmate.

"You... Alpha, you have a male soulmate?" King Daniel asked. I finished with cleaning both hands of blood and wrapping them, so Jack pulled me to him, grabbing the kit.

"Yeah. If you'd have let me explain King Daniel, then we wouldn't have needed the first aid kit." I said, wincing as Jack cleaned blood off of my cheek, brushing against a bruise on my jaw.

"I'm sorry about that. Many demons are wanting to make gay marraige illegal, and I've been put under a lot of stress and bashing. It's not excuse for my behavior today though. Alpha, is there anything to drink?" King Daniel asked.

"I wanted to talk to you about that, and yes. There's some water in the kitchen, if you could just give me a minute I'll-"

"Stay right where he is. Lord Philip, I assume you can find your way around a kitchen. Stretch your legs." Jack commanded, in a way I didn't see often. It was that voice that he did that contrasted sharply with the way he spoke to me. In fact, I'd only ever seen him speak like that to other vampires...

I ceased my busy mind as Lord Philip went to get water. Jack had finished cleaning the blood from my face, and lifted up my shirt some to check the damage since I was still clutching my stomach.

"Thought we weren't at that base yet, Jack?" I asked teasingly. His face slowly went red, and he snorted into his hand, shaking his head.

"Keep talking like that Markimoo, and you won't get to that base." Jack grinned, closing the first aid kit as Lord Philip came back.

"Here you go, bear. I also got you some medicine for that headache." Lord Philip said, handing the water and pills to him. King Daniel didn't even check if they were actually pills for a headache, he just downed them with the water.

"Thank you, Phil. And, Alpha? We can drop the titles. You can call me Dan." Dan said.

"Dan and Phil." Phil chimed in, grinning at Dan who smiled back. I had never seen Dan so... in love. The last we spoke, he hated my guts. I had told him his soulmate would hate him because he was the most disagreeable person ever. We were young, but I remember that moment vividly.

"As Mark said, there are some things that need to be discussed. First, King Sean is working hard to change the laws for vamps. For the second topic, Mark can answer that." Jack said, pulling my hand into his.

"Second, I only have proof of demons being the culprit for the murder of my mother. Does that mean it was demons or that I'm blaming demons? No. Not at all. All I'm asking is that you help me prove that demons were not the culprit." I explained, pulled Jack's knuckles to my lips. His ears went red as he grinned.

"I'll try to clear my people of this accusation. And Mark... I'll never forgive you for what you said but-"

"No 'buts' Dan. It was wrong of me to say something like that. I may have been young, but I wasn't stupid. I should have known better. I'm sorry for what I said to you. Hopefully, we can mend this rift and work together?" I asked.

"Why the hell not." Dan shrugged.

Word count: 1083 words