Chapter 8: Sleepover

•Mark•
Today was the day. I had been dreading it throughout the week, but now that the day has come I don't think it'll be that bad. Hopefully.

I had given Jack my address on Thursday. I was a little nervous about him coming. He was hiding something, but I hadn't been able to find anything out throughout the week.

"Mark? Felix said to just come in." Marzia called out from the front door. I got up from the couch and went over to greet her.

"Of course, come in Marzia! You're welcome here, treat this place as your second home! You're actually the first here." I said as I guided her to the kitchen.

"Really? If that's the case, then would you mind telling me what you've found out from your investigations?"

"Investigating Jack hasn't been easy. Meaning, I've learned nothing of what he's hiding. Other than his extreme urges, he's as normal as a Natural can be. What would you like to drink?"

"Water, please. And really? Nothing at all? Maybe his urges are a clue to what he's hiding." Marzia suggested.

"I've thought about it, but unless urges are ranks in vampire culture then it's probably nothing. So, how did Felix get sick?" I asked, setting a glass if water in front of Marzia and taking a seat beside her.

We texted yesterday, and she told me Felix was sick. Of course, I told her she was still welcome to come. I really didn't think we'd be friends, but we bonded over a mutual suspicion of Jack.

"I think it was all of that class president business he did Wednesday. Someone must have been a carrier of the cold, so Felix is most likely curled up at home watching Finding Dory again. In all seriousness, he needs to stop. It's all he watches now." Marzia deadpanned, making me laugh uncontrollably.

She started laughing, and we were practically rolling on the floor. We were laughing so hard that I almost didn't hear the door bell ring. I calmed myself, getting out a few chuckles before standing. I gave Marzia a hand up and we went to the front door. I opened it, and saw the subject of suspicion was here along with his friend, Signe.

"Hi Jack! And, you must be Signe. Come in, come in!" I said. "Make yourselves at home. I've got guest rooms upstairs, if you're gonna stay."

"Yeah, I'm staying! So what did I hear about there being cookies?" Jack asked.

"There'll be cookies, Jack. Come on, I'll show you to your room." I said, taking his bag for him. "Marzia, I've got some drinks in the fridge, help yourselves to it. You too, Signe."

"Dude, this is a nice place!" Jack commented, running a hand through his hair as he looked around.

"Thanks man. It was my moms. It's still got the design of the old one." I said, entering one of the guest bedrooms and setting Jack's bag down by the bed.

"Cool!" Jack smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I hope you don't mind me staying. By the way, don't you live on campus?"

"Yeah, but I come here every weekend. Usually to check on the pack, and do any business that needs attending. So where are you from?" I ask as we go to leave the room.

Jack tenses up. "Uh, just... Ireland. A little place in Ireland, it's not that big of a deal anyway. Why do you ask?"

"I'm just curious. I'd like to get to know you better."

"You'd like to..." Jack's face got red, and he turned away as if the hallway walls were more interesting. "Look, I'm not-I Don't... I don't like guys like that."

"Like what?" I asked. This was turning out to be a confusing conversation, what did he mea-Oh. Oh. Oh! "Oh! Sorry! No, no. Not-No! I'm not coming onto you, or whatever I just-Well, I meant-Ugh! Sorry!"