Chapter 3: Blood and Loyalty

~Jack~
The smell hit me immediately, and Mark had noticed. I could feel my eye twitch, and my thoughts began to jumble. I could hear the blood pumping through one man's veins, and the heartbeat of an older woman.

"Jack, why do you have no control? The others are doing alright." Mark asked.

Because I'm King! I wanted to scream. The vampire King always has no control over his urge! He has to be taught. I couldn't say that though. Even if the vampires and all other supernatural beings did kind of get along, we couldn't tell them our secrets, or our ways. This was the way of vampires. We are solitary creatures, only coming together within the last few centuries.

The blood bag I had from this morning was enough to sustain me, but as King I would always want- no, I would always need more.

"Jack? Can you hear me?" Mark asked. I looked up slowly, realizing the smell was gone.

"Yeah. Pepper, can I go to the bathroom?" I asked.

"Of course, Jack. Take your time." Pepper said. I ran to the bathroom, and leaned over the sink. Then I heard the door shut.

"Hey, you're Jack, right?" A guy with curly brown hair asked. This guy was a vampire in the 'Nut' class too. I couldn't remember if he was in another class of mine, as I didn't pay too much attention.

"Yeah. I am. Why?" I asked warily.

"I know who you are," he knelt before me, "My King."

"Raise your head." I turned to him. He rose, his poker face doing nothing to hide his fear. I extended my hand to him.

"I wish no ill will upon thee."

"And, none to thee as well." He replied, leaning his head down again. I grazed my index over the back of his neck. It was tradition in vampire culture to kneel to the King and expose your neck. Depending on the King, you would either be killed or spared. Not many were killed anymore.

"Rise. What's your name?" I asked as he stood.

I hated this. The King act that I had to do. I could never be friends with my people, I was only their King. They worshipped me, and I hated it. Sure, I was humble. Maybe I was modest, but not being able to know all of my people killed me quicker than time ever would.

"Tyler Scheid, sire." He answered. My stomach lurched, and I felt my senses dull as the need for blood rose. "I can get you blood, my King. There are blood bags in thi-"

"No," I said, my voice deeper than usual, "I need... I need fresh blood."

Tyler nodded. "Go off campus a mile or two, there's a shop called Charity Donations. Ask for a red velvet cupcake. It was set up for vampires in need, so there is always a fresh supply of people willing to donate. If you are ever in need, my King, I am at your service." Tyler knelt again.

"Do not speak of me as your King in public, but I'm sure the other vampires will know who I am after I had such a hard time controlling myself in control class. Keep them quiet. That is my first, and hopefully only order of your service, Tyler Scheid." I said, and with that I left for Charity Donations.

To say I was going as fast as a car was modest, I was speeding, and my hunger was fueling me. I found the place quickly, and saw a woman sitting behind the counter. The place was small, and had a shed look to it.

"How may I-"

"May I have a red velvet cupcake?" I asked, my nails had elongated slightly as I gripped the counter, digging into the wood. She nodded and led me upstairs.

"These are our choices. Stomp on the top step thrice when you're done." With that the woman left.

There were twelve people here, six women and six men. All were lounging in different parts of the room.

I set my eyes for a man with black hair and green eyes. He was playing Uno with two other guys and a girl. I tapped on his shoulder, and he turned his chair towards me. He said nothing, and that, I was thankful for. Things tended to get messy when they talked. I sat on his lap and pulled his hoodie down, exposing his neck.

He smelled delicious... I leaned my mouth over his neck and bit, struggling not to drain him in my thirst. Endorphins rushed in him, and he moaned loudly. I pulled at his shoulders, leaning in more as his moans got louder. Any minute now they would turn into groans as the life drained from him. I needed to stop. Need to...

Blood. I need his blo- NO! I need to control myself. Let go, stop! I couldn't, my nails dug into his back as I pulled him even closer, hearing the first groan escape his lips.

STOP!

I pulled away, watching as the man's head lolled to the side. He'd need to rest for a while. A long, long time. Getting off of his lap, I pulled out my phone to check the time. Lunch started soon.

Unfortunately, I'd just finished my lunch.

Word count: 893 words