Chapter 18: Demon King

•Mark•
I woke up with Jack in my arms, and I smiled remembering how we stayed awake till morning came... and then went to sleep. I kissed Jack's forehead, shaking his shoulder.

"Jack~ Wake up." I said. He didn't budge. I grinned, trying not to laugh at the plan I had formed. I brought myself closer to his cheek, as if I were going to kiss his cheek, then I licked him. He jumped up, groaning as he wiped slobber off his cheek.

"Mark!" He whined, yawning.

"What? I couldn't help it, you were 'asleep' and I had a thought that turned into a small plan." I defended myself with a small smile. Jack snorted and shook his head.

"Okay, well I have to go out and get a bite. You can chill here or do whatever you were planning to do today. I have to see Miss Reagan this afternoon, but if you want maybe we could go out for supper around six? It's a little late for supper, but maybe that could count as a... a date?" Jack changed into a black t-shirt and jeans, smiling sheepishly at me.

"I'd love for us to go on a date! Wait, how do vamps and regular food work?" I asked, scooting to the edge of bed and stretching.

"Well, blood is needed. Imagine your stomach is split in half, weird image, I know. One side is for human food, the other is for blood. Both need to be sated or else you'll die. Although with vamps our stomach isn't split in half, but our body knows we need blood and food, and digests accordingly.

In a way, all vamps have an iron deficiency, so we need blood. We can also sniff out any human, creature, or Natural with iron deficiency. It's our hunger that differentiates us from the humans, plus humans aren't built to digest blood like we can. If that makes sense. You'd think after learning this for so long I'd be able to explain it, but not really."

"Actually it kinda does make sense. You probably need to leave, sorry for keeping you. Although, one thing before you go..." I trailed off.

"Yes?" Jack dragged out the word, waiting for me to continue.

"Could I have a goodbye kiss?" I asked, smiling. He rolled his eyes with a grin and strode towards me.

"No." He said once he was right in front of me. "You can have an 'until next time' kiss."

Jack pulled me close, kissing me tenderly. I hummed contentedly against his lips. He pulled away with a grin, his cheeks dusted with pink. I pouted and huffed, resting ny hands on his cheeks and bringing him to my lips once more. He groaned, sitting in my lap and running his hands through my messy hair. Finally he pulled away, he lips pink and slightly swollen.

"Mmm. I really shouldn't have done that. You're... ugh, I need to go before I try anything." He pecks my lips once more before exiting. I sigh happily and fall back down onto the bed with a lazy grin on my face. Jack was surely something. Until next time... I liked that, next time seemed infinitely better than goodbye.

Eventually I got up and left, heading to my house. It was so sad looking. My house stood front and center, almost like it was shielding the pack houses from harm. Unfortunately the pack was wounded, still trying to get a grip on things.

This had shaken everyone up, and everyone was demanding a search for whom the culprit might be. I thought to take a rest, go on a vacation and hide away until this was over, but then I scolded myself. These people, my people... They look up to me. I couldn't rest, not for one second until the guilty were found and went on trail.

For now we had narrowed it down to the demons. Only demons could make so much destruction on a scale like this so easily. The gasoline smell, everything was hidden with a common spell used by demons, one that temporarily hid something so no one ever knew it was there. Plus, no one was seen going in or out of the houses, and demons are one of the few species of Natural that can teleport. Everything was pointing to demons.

Besides all of that, my time with Jack was a simple pleasure, and the pack had come to know Jack better. Some had come up to me and explicitly told me that it was okay to lean on a friend for help or a shoulder to cry on. Many understood what losing a parent was like. I was encouraged to go out and be around friends more, but that didn't mean I'd listen.

Pack activities didn't cease, I continued to hold bonding days. I hoped we'd all heal together. Luke was holding together well. I was worried, and though I knew he was strong I'd never expect him to hold up if he couldn't. I often asked him to go on walks with me, and I told him that if he ever felt like he wasn't holding up that he find his dad, me, or someone else in the pack that he trusted.

Luke sure surprised me by asking the same of me. He urged me to find him if I ever needed to talk about my mom. With him losing his mother as well, he understood what I was going through. The kid would make a great Alpha one day. I'd been testing him for a while, mostly mental strengths and testing his determination and compassion.

Mom had always said those were the most important, needed things for any great leader. Luke ran up to me once I got home, jumping up and down excitedly.

"Mark! Guess what?!" He grinned from ear to ear, smiling up at me. I gave him a curious smile and knelt in front of him.

"What is it, Luke?"

"The construction people are teaching me some Spanish! I've always wanted to learn but dad couldn't get me the extra classes cause I'm not in high school yet. I've only got like... Actually, nevermind, I forgot what grade I'm in." Luke giggled, still bouncing joyously.

"That's great! Well, the construction people won't always be here to teach you Spanish, so I'll ask your dad if he wouldn't mind if I paid for those extra classes for you. But, you'd have to promise you'd try your hardest." I said, holding out my pinky finger expectantly.

"Thank you, Mark! Of course, I'll try my hardest!" Luke quickly pinky swore before running to his dad. The kid sure was excitable. I chuckled and stood, going around my house to talk to the workers. Maybe I could get the pack to help me make some sandwiches for everyone...

As I rounded a corner I came upon someone I never thought I'd see again.

The demon King.

Word count: 1169 words