Chapter 4: Lunch

•Mark•
I hadn't seen Jack for an entire hour. It seemed like he had skipped Nut class, but Pepper didn't mark him as skipping when he didn't come back. Then I ran into someone on my way to lunch. My friend, Tyler Schied. He's in my first period, Nut class, and my sixth and seventh hour classes. Naybe he had seen Jack at some point.

"Hey, have you seen Jack? The new guy? I can't find him, he bailed in Nut class."  I asked.

"Yeah. I bumped into him earlier. He'll be back soon... Speak of the devil." Tyler said, looking behind me.

I turned around to see Jack. He seemed calmer now. Then I noticed a small bloodstain on his shirt, just barely noticeable on the collar.

Oh. Nut class must have really affected him. I thought.

"It did." Jack's eyes widened. He rubbed his neck as his cheeks got pink. "Uh... Ah, sorry. I didn't mean to read your mind, Mark. Your thoughts are quite loud." The Irish lad grinned shyly. Tyler nodded, agreeing with him.

"It's fine. It was just unexpected. What class do you have next?" I asked.

"Anatomy, but I don't know where that is." Jack answered.

"I've got that class after lunch if you wanna walk with me." I offered, gesturing with my hand.

"Alright, do you mind if I sit with you at lunch? I've... Ahem, I've already had lunch so I don't have much to do at the moment." Jack's cheeks were dusted with pink again as he mentioned lunch.

"Of course! You should hang out with us this weekend. By us I mean Amy, a werewolf, Ethan, a shapeshifter, and Tyler, you know him. We were just gonna go swimming and maybe play some video games or something." I offered as we walked to lunch.

"Ooh! That'd be nice. Do you think I could bring a friend?" Jack grinned at the mention of video games.

"Sure, the more the merrier. Who is this friend?" I stretched my arms hearing girls ooh in the background as I waited for the lunch line to move, a common occurrence. It seemed silly to me, but people tend to sexualize others who've been put of a pedestal.

"Signe Hansen, vampire. She's a real sweetheart but she's been kept away from most other Naturals. She's met one werewolf in her life but no shapeshifters! Signe's parents thought she was too young to meet others so she grew up ignorant. Well, ignorant and less judgemental. Sorry! I kind of went on a rant..." Jack rubbed his neck as we sat down at my table.

"It's fine, the line seemed to go a little faster with me listen into you. Plus- Oh, hey Amy! Amy, this is Jack. Jack, Amy." I introduced the two when Amy came over, eating while they talked.

Plus I like listening to your voice... Tyler gave me a funny look before drinking his smoothie.

"Hey, you're Amy? Nice to meet you. Mark invited me over this weekend and I wanted to make sure it was cool with everyone who was coming that I bring my friend." Jack gestured as he talked, occasionally rubbing his scruff of a beard.

"That'd be great, although it's not like I have a say in the matter with Mark's inflated head in the way!" Amy giggled while I growled. "So who's this friend anyway?"

"Signe Hansen, vampire. She's a sweet lass." Jack answered, making Amy's grin widen.

"Ooh! Are you two together?"

Jack snorted and said, "No, Signe doesn't like guys like that anyways." He shrugged.

"What?! And, you're just alright with that? How can you be so nonchalant about something like that?" Amy demanded.