Chapter 7: Silence

~Jack~
"

Sean! Hey! It's been a while so I thought I'd call. I... Well, I haven't heard from you or seen you in a while. To be honest, I'm worried about you. I know King William is strict, but surely you could come see me... Well, I guess that's all I wanted to say. If you could, meet me in the market at dusk. Okay, see you. Hopefully."

The call ended, and I looked out the window. I couldn't remember when the castle was this desolate. It seemed my kind was mourning something or someone. The castles' sad appearance was only amplified by it's black and white appearance.

I should go see Signe. She always called me when she was upset. Usually she'd just come see me.

I decided that I'd go see her.

▪■▪■▪■▪

"Signe? Where are you?" I whispered. "Where'd you go?"

She had just been right here, I was sure of it! I was still in the castle, but I was underground. The long, damp hallway told me that much. The stench was overwhelming, mold and bugs clung to wooden doors too decomposed to function.

The silence was killing me. Where was Signe? Why was she down here in the first place?

Something touched my shoulder, and I jumped when I felt cold, wet fingers glide over my shoulder.

"Signe?!" I said, shocked. She was soaked, and she had an airy, wispy look to her. Then I noticed her feet. She floated above the ground about an inch or two, and her once beautiful eyes were now sunken in and hollow.

"What happened to you? Why are you a ghost? Please tell me you're not-"

She took her skinny index finger and pressed it to my lips, silencing me. Then she nodded to the end of the hallway, were a snow white door stood out, gleaming in this dark desolate place.

"Is... your body down there?" I asked, getting no response. She glided to the door, and I had no choice but to follow her.

The white door was a stark sight, with no mold or bugs to be seen around it or on it. I took a deep breath, shivering when the ghost of Signe put her hand on my shoulder again.

I pulled the door open, and immediately the smell if blood overwhelmed me. Blood stained the door, the ground, there was blood everywhere.

"Please, Signe. I don't want to go in there! I don't want to see it!" I cried out.

And in return I was pushed in. I turned to speak to Signe, only to see the door closing quickly. There was a click, but I barely heard anything else beside my own quick heartbeat.

"Sean?"

I looked around, trying to adjust my eyes to see in the near pitch black room.

"Signe? Where are you? Maybe I can help you." I said, but when my eyes did adjust I didn't see her.

"I can't breathe, Sean. I-I'm trapped. They buried me. My lungs hurt, Sean. Please! Save me, Sean!"

Signe spoke again, and I pressed my ear to the ground as she spoke. Tears welled up in my eyes, but I pushed my hands through the dirt and started digging.

I dug hole after hole, trying to locate Signe, but I couldn't find her. I had been digging for hours, or what felt like it. My arms were tired, and my body ached. The blood only made things worse.

"Signe, I can't find you. I can't continue digging, my arms are numb, I can hardly move them. I'm sorry, Signe. I'm so sorry."

Suddenly the ghost of Signe appeared in front of me, giving off a glow. The room had many holes in it, and then I saw her.

Signe was sat up against the corner of the wall, her eyes gouged out, and her hands dirty and bloody from clawing at the ground. She was soaking wet, and her hair was clumped to her face by blood and water.

Suddenly it all clicked. I looked back up at the ghost of Signe, and she knelt and put her hand on my shoulder.

"You've... No. You can't be, but you are. You've been dead this whole time? And, if you've been dead this whole time... Who was speaking to me?"

The grounds started shaking and the walls and floor crumbled away. I pulled myself into a ball, hoping that this would end. What remained of the ground slammed into my already aching back again and again as the ground shook.

Yet still, Signe stayed in place. Well, the ghost of her.

It seemed to go on forever, I didn't know what I'd do if it stopped. My best friend was... gone.

The silence woke me.

Word count: 796 words