Chapter 15: Plans

~Jack~
Click, clack. Click, clack.

Looking up, I saw miss Fischbach. She looked stunning and young. I stood and bowed to greet her.

"Hello miss Fischbach. It's a pleasure to meet you." I gave her a smile.

"The pleasure is mine, King Sean. How is it that you look as you did when I was young?" She asked, smiling in a teasing way.

"Young? Miss Fischbach, you still are young! I happen to be the old one. Would you mind accompanying me to the board room?" I asked, holding out my arm.

"Ever the charmer! When will stop talking like that?" She took my arm and we began walking down the stark white corridor.

"Habits are hard break. Perhaps eventually I shall get used to how everyone speaks now, though you are keeping up quite well."

"Yes, I am!"

"Are you alright miss Fischbach?" I asked. It wasn't her voice that I heard... Whose voice was that? It was so... familiar.

"Hush! I think he's waking up."

"What? What are you talking about? Miss Fischbach, I'm awake and walking with you this day. How could I be waking up?"

"Jack, we need you to open you're eyes. Wake up. You will starve if you keep this up."

Miss Fischbach was rather pretty... Perhaps she wouldn't mind if I had a bite. I was famished, my tongue stuck to the roof if my mouth and I really wanted to drink.

"Let me." She said. Was that her voice? That couldn't be.

She pulled the sleeve of her dress back, stepping close and exposing her wrist for more access. I leaned close and bit. She disappeared, and in her place was a man. He had dark, tousled hair and brown eyes like ooey gooey chocolate chips. I took a deep breath and sunk my teeth in farther, fixated on that delicious, intoxicating taste.

"You need to tell him to stop soon."

Did they know who they were talking about? I'm the King of vampires! Were they challenging me? I bit down harder, needing more. I was so hungry, and he was so good. I heard a cry of pain, and had I not been enraptured by his sweet taste I would have smirked.

"Stop."

I released him, my head spinning. I was hurting all over, and my eyes still felt glued together. I could smell Mark, and though I was still hungry I didn't want to drink from him. Finally I opened my eyes and saw Mark, Tyler, Signe, Amy, and Lady Rosanna. I gestured for Mark's arm again.

"Wait, Mark." Amy said, but he gave me access again. I licked the bite, and let my fingers trail over his hand before letting go. I felt feverish, and my skin felt pulled.

Now I remember.

"Hello, Sean." Lady Rosanna spat.

"Lady Rosanna, I know you loathe me, but please. Let's work together, just for now. Truce?"

"Fine. Truce."

Lady Rosanna now looked almost apologetic. Our encounters had never been too kind, but I always treated her with respect. I knew she loathed me, she made it clear numerous times, but I didn't mind.

Mark sat beside me, I think we were back in his house. Tyler and Lady Rosanna sat on a couch, as well as Signe and Amy. A wave of dizziness hit, and I grabbed my head. Mark slowly wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Fischbach, I've got you. Tell me about Mark again. You were saying he lost his shoes in a fire, how did he do that?"

"Funny thing, King Sean-"

"Please, call me Sean. We've known each other for years now."

"Yes, Sean."

I hadn't realized she had stopped talking. Flames had been crackling around us, and I hadn't noticed she had stopped talking. I felt tears on my cheeks, and I leaned into Mark's hug.

"She's... dead." I whispered.

"Yes." Mark replied, pulling me tighter as if he was trying to keep me together.

The woman I grew to know well had died in my arms. I hadn't noticed. She burned before me and I struggled to hold her as my skin burned then worked to heal itself, continuing a vicious cycle until we made it out if the house. She managed to get everyone out but herself.

"Mark, can I talk to... Jack. Alone, please." Lady Rosanna asked. I felt Mark nod, and he and the others left the room.

"Sean... I'm sorry, King Sean. I've treated you horribly. I've disrespected your name and your title, I've disrespected you, I've lashed out at you. If there is one thing you might answer me... Why have you stayed so kind to me? You even respected my wanting to be called by my title. Why?" Lady Rosanna asked, looking somewhat distraught.

"Simple. I knew you were under pressure by the Order of the Forest. Elves are often like trees, unwilling to change. Especially if that change is brought on quickly. I moved too fast with my proclamation. There's so much I wish to change... Have they considered that proclamation? The Order of the Forest? Have they considered an alliance?" I asked. I needed to know, an alliance with the elves was crucial to my big plan.

"I cannot disclose that information-"

"Oh..."

"But, for you I will. They have been heavily discussing it since then. I will personally put a word in for you. Whatever you're planning... I trust you. I must take my leave, King Sean. Thank you for your time."

"And until next time time Lady Rosanna." I stood slowly and bowed. She smiled, and nodded to me before leaving. Signe came in and sat by me, sighing and running her hands through my hair.

"Your hair is wild, Jack. Honestly, it's just like you..." Signe finally was satisfied with my hair, so she hugged me.

"I'm sorry I got you into this." I apologized.

"Shut up, Jack. We're a package deal. And if your soulmate doesn't know that now then he's blind." She giggled, pulling away and smiling at me.

"True. How did I get so lucky? You're the greatest best friend I could ask for." I said, ruffling her hair. She pouted and slapped my hand away. "So where did our soulmates get off to? And, Tyler?"

"Mark and Amy had pack things to attend to. Tyler needed to check in with Ethan, he's probably given that boy a fright. That soulmate connection can do strange things."

"And you? Where are you my Whoosh?"

"I should be home by tomorrow..." She sighed, shifting her eyes away in guilt.

"Should?" I lifted my eyebrow at her.

"Oh, hush. I... I have duties to attend to. As a Dutchess, but Amy..." Signe's eyes softened.

"You want to be with her. Near her." I whispered. Signe nodded in agreement.

"I'm torn. How could I leave such a being?! But, how could I disappoint my parents? Plus her parents don't know we're soulmates. What should I do my King?" This was extremely serious if Signe was asking for advice like this.

"I have a plan. You know that same sex marriages aren't legal yet for vampires. I plan to make them legal. It's not right that we can have our partners but not marry then, and that it's looked down upon to be in a relationship with your soulmate if they're the same sex. I know an alliance with the elves would help push for that. Plus, once that happens... Maybe I could be with Mark. And, then me being with Mark could help you and Amy."

"Your Kingly rants are fascinating. You're a great King, Jack. This will work out, right?" Signe asked. I gave her a soft smile and nodded.

"If things go according to plan..."

Word count: 1301 words