Pain

Kassandra's POV

"I have truly frightened you then?" She asks me, I don't answer her because yes I am really scared of her and what she is willing to do.

She gets up and walks to the door and I look back down at the floor.

"I'll sleep in one of the other rooms" She says and I hear the door closing behind her.

Something inside of me is shouting at me to go after her and hold her in my arms but I force myself to remain still.

I lay back on the bed and look up at the ceiling. She and Fen had told me what she was capable and willing to do to keep me safe but I never guessed that she could murder in cold blood.

All I can see is the vampire Charles with gallons of blood pouring from him. Aliana appeoaching him with her gun and her pulling the trigger then walking away as if his death meant nothing to her.

Monster.

The word whispers in my head. Is that really think of her? That she is a cold hearted monster?

Scrapping at the door pulls me from her thoughts. I walk over to the door and pull it open.

Fen walks in a hops up on the bed. I sigh and go join him on the bed, laying back down.

" How can you live with what she does?" I ask him. "With how she does it?" I ask him but my eyes are facing the ceiling.

"Aliana isn't the cold blooded killer that you think she is." He says cryptically.

"Could have fooled me." I snort.

He jumps up and growls viciously at me and I recoil in fear.

"You foolish child. You have no idea how much pain she has ebdured and is still enduring to this day. You think just because you say her kill a few vampires today that she is a monster because she didn't shed a tear?" He says stalking closer to me.

"If she didn't cut off her emotions and shut herself off when she kills it would have driven her insane centuries ago. Everyone she has killed has been a direct threat to you, not just because they said mean things about you or pushed you around, they were going to kill you or were plotting your death.

Didn't you notice that she didn't kill that Chelsea girl? and she was one of your biggest tormentors, Aliana doesn't kill indiscriminently, every death has a reason and they each affect her." He says slowing down a little.

I gulp and can feel tears gathering in my eyes.

I open my mouth to apologise, but he cuts me off.

"I'm not the one you should be apologising too and next time, you should at least try to get to know the person before you judge them." He walks to the door and waits.

I watch him standing there wondering what is he doing? He turns his head and looks at me, then indicates the closed door.

"Oh." I say and scramble off the bed to open the door for him.

He pads down the hallway and I follow slowly at a good distance behind him. As I pass the door for the room that I was originally supposed to stay in I swore I heard a quiet sob.

I pause at the door then look at Fen to ask if he also heard that but to my suprise he is halfway down the stairs.

Turning back to the door I wait and listen, but the room is quiet.

As I turn to go downstairs I hear it again, a low cry. I walk up closer to the door and put my hand on the nob. Turning the handle slowly I try to open tge door as quietly as I could.

What I say inside that room caused my heart to shatter.

Aliana was curled up in the middle of the big bed, her shoulders shaking. In that moment I felt like the biggest ass the world. This is what I did to her and yet all she has ever done is keep me safe and happy.

I walked into the room and closed the door behind me and made my way over to the bed. She looked so small and vulnerable, all I wanted to do was keep her safe.

"It is our job to protect our mate as it is hers to protect us." An unknown voice said.

I jumped and looked around the room searching for the source of the voice.

" I am inside you little one, I am the 'beast' which our Aliana refers too. We are one."

I settled down and sat at the edge of the bed, being careful not to disturb her.

"Why have you never spoken to me before." I asked.

"We are not true fighters, violence disturbs us and I am ashamed to say that I was frightend of the things we endured. After meeting our mates 'beast' I grew more comfortable and confident, knowing that they would protect us at all costs. Our mates job is to protect us and handle all the violence, our job is to comfort them and give them a safe and secure place to return. Their darkness to our light, violence to our peace, our true counterpart."

I thought about all she was saying, even during training with the hunter, I hated even pretending to have to kill. I was really happy that I didn't have to kill anything on my first mission.

"So your saying that we cannot kill?"

"No little one, we are very much capable of killing but it does not sit well with us, we are extremely powerful, more power than you can hope to understand, you haven't even tapped into any of that power yet. But as powerful as we are, our mate is a hundred times stronger, that is why she must carry the burden of protecting us. Your words earlier have greatly wounded her and now she is suffering."

I looked down at Aliana and noticed the small frown on her lips. I never wanted to be the one to cause her

pain.

"Then fix it little one, give our mate a safe place to rest."

I took off my shoes and climbed into the bed behind Aliana and wrapped my arm around her waist.

I kissed the back of her neck and let my tears flow free.

"I'm sorry, please forgive me." I whispered into the quiet room.