Forty Three

Emerson

For Christmas this year we decided not to do any gifts. Patrick and I just had birthdays and our gift to everyone else was the outfit they had to wear to Christmas. This year was a time for reflection and friendships and family and food, of course. You can't forget the food.

My morning started at about five. I prepared the ham and vegetables and bread among other food. The treats and pies were already done by me and Patrick's sisters yesterday while Patrick and his parents watched bowl games all day. It was nice to catch up with them and get a bunch of treats out of it too.

After all the food was in the oven I light some candles and play some music softly. I start the coffee and find a book to cuddle up in the corner and read.

About 8 am Patrick comes strolling down the stairs with a big smile on his face. He already changed into the Christmas pajamas we were required to wear today and looked like he had taken a shower and cleaned up and everything.

"Good morning my beautiful fiancé" he says coming over to me.

"Well hello there my randomly really happy fiancé" I counter.

"It's not random, it's Christmas" he claims taking the book out of my hand. He grabs my hands and pulls me off the recliner before pulling me into his chest.

Usually I question such weird and unusual interactions but this one, this one was nice. My fingers lace behind his neck as he grabs my waist and pulls me close. We slowly sway back and fourth as Christmas music plays in the background.

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white."

"Why are you doing this" I finally ask and he laughs.

"I was wondering how long this could go on before you asked" he admits. "I just wanted to get some practice in before our wedding" he claims.

"You're not too bad" I admit.

"I guess we're just going to dance to this for our first song then" he claims.

"Ummmmm" I trail off.

"Oh my god, stop the presses. Are you about to say no" he gasps and I roll my eyes.

"Why are you like this" I ask.

"Because I've heard you talk yourself out of some things but I've never heard you say no. I kinda want to hear it" he claims.

"No Patrick" I groan.

"I kinda like it. It's sassy" he claims.

"I'm not talking to you" I pout walking away but he easily pulls me back into his chest. "Are you done now" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. Do you forgive me" he asks.

"I don't know" I smirk. He starts to place a kiss all over my face causing me to giggle. I try to push him away but he wasn't about to let go. "Okay okay! I forgive you" I laugh and he stops.

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white."