Twenty Six

Patrick

After the funeral for my Grandpa we fly out to Sochi for the Olympics. It was a long and kinda tiring flight but we land in Russia in one piece. The turnover from being in buffalo to Chicago to Sochi all happened so quickly, and ultimately I was still upset because I wanted my Grandpa watch me play in the tournament but that's not the way it turned out. I know he was watching from heaven but nothing beats having him here with me. It's just something I'm going to have to accept no matter how bad it hurts.

Instead of having time to sulk I was going to use the games to help my hurting heart. I was in a new place with plenty of things to see and explore. Keep my mind off the heavier things in my life. It's a whole new culture I've never experienced before and my family and girlfriend would be there to see it with me. It wasn't all that bad.

And for the first time since Emerson and I even started fake dating the attention shifted to me. I was supposed to be what the American team needed to win gold this year and it was a lot of pressure. Hockey in America is still growing, compared to where it's a religion in Canada and Russia, it was the fourth biggest sport in America behind football, basketball, and baseball. But when it comes to the Winter Olympics, hockey is by far the biggest sport. Unlike the summer Olympics where America is involved in a bunch of different events, a majority of the focus was on me and my team.

We arrive a few days before the games started to get practice and catch up on sleep. This time change is going to be the death of me.

Emerson and I get settled into the nice hotel and chill for a little. Order some room service and watch whatever movie was playing here. Eventually we go outside and look around at what we were working with around here. They give us bikes and we scoot around until we find some place to eat. I was used to the photographers following us around now and kind of just shrug them off. But I do want some of those pictures.

"I have no clue as to how to order from here" Emerson admits trying to read the menu.

"Maybe I can help" a voice says and I see Jonny towering over us. I smile because at least he's something familiar in this place of new things.

"What do you know about ordering food from here" I ask.

"That you will sit here all day and not get any food. You have to go up to the front and order. And I suggest asking for the waitress that speaks english unless you want to order raw fish for lunch" he suggests.

"Noted. Find the English lady" Emmy announces getting up from the table. "I will be right back with three plates of cooked food" she insists.

"I already miss you" I joke as he sits down next to me. We kinda looked like a couple since Emerson left but that wouldn't be the first time someone said that.

"I'm think I'm gonna be sick" Jonny jokes.

"You sat next to me" I remind him.

"Well yeah. Because I love playing for my country but there's many people on that team I wanted to kill with a skate blade not too long ago" he laughs.

"Yeah. It's a bit different being here huh" I ask.

"Yeah. But it's cool. You know, this happens once every four years so it's awesome to be a part of it" he shrugs. "How have you been. I feel like I haven't been able to see you in a while" he admits.

"Yeah, it's been a bit busy on my end. Going from LA to Buffalo to Chicago to here. My minds been going crazy but it's slowing down to take this all in" I explain.

"That's good. How is Emmy doing" he asks.

"She's been amazing. Throughout all of this she has never left my side. Always been my shoulder to cry on. She wanted to move back to Chicago to settle down and instead she's been following me around to make sure I was happy. And I am thanks to her. I know we've only known each other for eight months and only been really dating for three but I feel like it's been forever since we've known each other. She's my better half for as long as she's been in my life and I wouldn't change that for the world" I explain.

"Wow, you are really into this girl" he notices.

"I love her so much" I admit.

"Are you gonna marry her" he asks and I look over to him. He has that shit eating grin on his face where he knew that answer but he asked just so I had to say it.

"Yeah... I am" I admit.

"Wow... I didn't peg you as someone to get married so quickly" he admits.

"She's famous. Don't famous people get married quickly" I ask.

"I mean yeah, usually because they're so busy or still think they're in a movie. But those marriages don't seem to last all that long" he claims.

"Those rules don't apply to her. She's grounded, always has been. The only thing I've seen her spend crazy money on is her jet plane and her house. And she uses the plane more than the car and she bought that house so she can start a family with me. I think she's smart enough to know we're not in a romantic movie and she's on a break so we have time to get to know each other and spend time together" I explain.

"That sounds pretty serious... do you think she would be down to get married" he asks.

Before I have time to answer Emerson comes over.

"What are you guys talking about" she asks setting all the food down.

"If I purposed right now what would you say" I ask getting straight to the point.

"I would say yes but I just got this one on Christmas, I don't want to take it off" she claims pointing to her ring.

"That's the one problem you have with him purposing right now" Jonathan asks.

"Yeah" she shrugs. "French fries" she offers and he takes them.

"You guys are weird" he admits.

"Yeah, but I love us" I admit.

"I do too" she smiles.

We eat lunch with Jonny before walking around some. Her hand rested in mine as we kept each other warm. I wasn't that tired and she never was really. She was like a child in a lot of senses and I loved her for it.

We end up in a shop where she buys my home and away team USA jersey. She slips one on over her clothes and jokingly strikes a pose.

"I like it with my name across the back of you" I admit.

"I do too. Emerson Kane. Has a nice ring to it, and I can keep the same initials" she nods.

"Maybe your priorities are kinda messed up" I laugh.

"Eh, it could be worse, I could have no priorities" she says looking through the other things they were selling here.

"Are you even real" I ask.

"I am. I'm as real as they come" she claims.

"Really" I ask.

"Yeah" she challenges.

"Then what's your most embarrassing moment of your life" I ask.

"Easy. I was at the red carpet of the first movie I had the leading role in, it was Bridesmaids. I still agree heels but loves how my legs looked in them. I was doing a interview and my ankle turned and I totally face planted into the camera before falling to the floor. It was kind of amazing" she giggles.

"You are... amazing" I insist.