Chapter 45

“Wait, how about The Avengers?” Harry asked as he rummaged through the many DVD’s he owns at his place.

“Nope, watched it many times,” I stated, clearly bored already.

“I guess you’ve already watched everything I own then,” His hands flew up in the air, indicating that he had surrendered. I rolled my eyes before getting up from my seat on the couch.

“What about going to the cinema? There we can watch something new.” I offered and saw a smile showing on his face, causing one to form on mine too.

“That’s great, let me grab my coat.” I nodded and watched as he entered his bedroom to retrieve his coat.

Instinctively, I started pacing around his living room, taking in all my surroundings. There were plenty of pictures of him and Gemma or Anne placed on the shelves, but none of his with his father. It was saddening how disconnected Harry and his father are, they’re like complete strangers and whenever I ask Harry about him, he changes the subject at once.

While my eyes were scanning the different pictures of him and his family members, they fell on a familiar photo, one I used to own too. My lips parted and I let out a heavy breath before walking over to the shelf and holding the photo frame in my hands, staring at the photo inside it absentmindedly.

It was an old photo of me and Harry at Sarah’s home back then when we were in high school. Harry’s arm was draped around my shoulder and I was leaning my head over his chest. Grins were plastered across both of our faces and I could see the happiness in our eyes, as well as the irresponsible-state we used to live in. Back then, I used to love him in some sort of childish way, I must admit, because I know now that what I used to feel towards him was some kind of silly and irresponsible love. But I know that I did love him, so much that is, and now I know that he did use to love me back.

Smiling, I wished I was this careless and irresponsible little girl who drove a motorcycle with her boyfriend and who loved him for no sensible reason, she just did. I wish I was this old Annabeth without the weight of the world above my chest, making it harder to breathe. Suddenly, I felt a hand above my shoulder and jumped the turned around to find Harry.

“Dammit Harry, you scared me.” I said, letting out a breath and placing my hand above my heart firmly. He chuckled.

“Sorry, anyway, what’s that with you here?” He snatched the photo from my hands without me noticing, much to my dismay because I didn’t want him to catch me staring at one of our old photos.

“Do you remember that night?” I heard him ask, still staring at the photo in his hands, a smile evident across his beautiful face. When I didn’t speak he said, “I wish I could go back in time and change everything that happened so that we could have been that way again.”

I blinked several times before averting my gaze to the floor, not knowing what to say. I also wanted to go back in time and be with Harry the way we used to be; careless and young. Maybe then we wouldn’t have been wounded, maybe we wouldn’t have been this scarred. But unfortunately, we can not.