Chapter 31

Harry’s P.O.V.

I could hear the beating of my heard getting louder and louder and felt that it would explode out of my ribs anytime soon. The air was sucked off of my lungs and I felt like I was going to face one of those asthma attacks again, right now. My lips parted in utter shock and my eyes widened.

“Ah, Styles,” Dr. Frank moved aside only to confirm my thoughts. It’s Annabeth. “I’m glad you’re here.” He continued, but my eyes were glued to the girl standing in front of me, who have been haunting my dreams for the last five years.

There she was, standing ordinarily staring at me. Her features showed no sign of shock or surprise; she just looked at me for a moment then returned her gaze to Dr. Frank, who has been talking. I couldn’t hear him, though, because all my attention was averted to her. Annabeth.

She looked so perfect, even prettier than the last time I saw her, if that’s possible. She wore a normal maroon dress that fell underneath her knees which fitted her perfectly. Her once straight, brown hair was in waves cascading down her shoulders. Her blue eyes were brighter than ever. I noticed that something was not the same about her, but I didn’t know what, so I ignored it.

“Styles.” I heard Dr. Frank call and I quickly averted my gaze towards him. “Meet Ms. Annabeth Chase, our new E.R. doctor here.” He introduced.

I seriously wanted to laugh so loud at him right now because he’s introducing me to the girl I’m madly in love with, but that would be disrespectful, so I just stared at him then averted my gaze towards Annabeth, who had her arms folded behind her back, a habit she always does whenever there was someone old talking.

“Ms. Chase, this is Dr. Harry Styles, one of out most brilliant surgeons here, who unfortunately choose to work in the children department.” I rolled my eyes at him and he chuckled. I don’t know why Dr. Frank always has to bring that up.

I realized that I haven’t shook hands with Annabeth yet, which caused Dr. Frank to eye us suspiciously. I stepped forward until we were five feet apart. I extended my hand for her to shake. Her eyes stared at my hand for a moment then back at me. I thought for a moment that she’d refuse to shake hands with me, but I was proven wrong when she did.

I smiled at her, but she didn’t smile back, just stared at me weirdly. I know Annabeth; she always talks and asks about many things, which is the opposite of what she’s doing right now. What’s wrong with her? Is it something I’ve done or is it just because I’m here? Does she hate me this much?

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” I finally decided to speak up.

I wanted to pull her to my chest so bad right now and hug her tight, tell her how I’ve been without her and apologize, but that would be really stupid and awkward. Anyway, she isn’t mine anymore, she’s taken.

Annabeth didn’t say a word, just pulled her hand from mine. The moment I lost contact with her hand, I felt my heart crush inside me, but what do I have to expect from her after everything? She nodded in my direction as a response, which also pained me. She hates me so much that she doesn’t even wanna talk to me.

“Okay then,” Dr. Frank broke the awkward moment we were sharing. “As you know, Styles, Ms. Chase is new in here. So I want you to show her around the hospital and the E.R. department, which she’ll be working in.” I smiled widely, knowing I’ll get to spend more time with her, maybe talk to her even. Who knows?

“Sure, sir.” I stuttered.

I looked at Annabeth and found her looking at me with no emotions showing. I want to know what’s wrong with her, but I don’t have the guts to ask. What would I say? “Oh, hey there, Anne, why are you so emotionless today?” Bullshit. I smiled at her, and she turned to face Dr. Frank, who was now encouraging her on her first day.